External DAC instead of sound card?
Feb 13, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #16 of 25
You can use a optical cable and connect the ZXR optical out into the optical input of the HDVD 800. Then config the ZXR to output the audio signal out of optical.  Then you can config SBX Pro surround to your liking. Make sure you set windows to 5.1 control panel to 5.1 as well  the movie player your using and if the game has it, the game too.

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #17 of 25
Okay so i just connect the ZxR via optical to the hdvd 800. Can i still connect the hdvd 800 to my pc via usb and make it all work together that way? Also, will this just add the effects of the ZxR to the hdvd 800's dac or will the ZxR's dac replace it entirely? Thanks for the reply. Was very helpful.

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #18 of 25
Yep the optical to the ZXR and config it, you can still use the HDVD 800 by USB like normal, just switch to optical on your dac to use the ZXR and back to USB to use the  HDVD 800's Dac.

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #20 of 25
If you're using optical output from the ZxR, you're bypassing its DAC anyway.

You still need to use the ZxR as the primary sound card/source for its DSP effects, though. When you connect the HDVD800 via USB, it's basically a separate sound card without any of the ZxR's DSP features.

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #21 of 25
  If you're using optical output from the ZxR, you're bypassing its DAC anyway.
Okay so everything will be running through the hdvd 800's dac. That's good news.

You still need to use the ZxR as the primary sound card/source for its DSP effects, though.
You mean select the ZxR as the playback device in windows?

When you connect the HDVD800 via USB, it's basically a separate sound card without any of the ZxR's DSP features.
Alright so if i get this right i'll just have to connect the hdvd 800 via usb to my pc and then connect the ZxR to the hdvd 800 via the ZxR's optical output, and it'll use the hdvd 800's dac even when switching the hdvd 800 to optical to get surround effects from the ZxR?

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #22 of 25
Yes, you set the analog output of the ZxR as the default audio device in Windows, make sure it's set for 5.1 or 7.1 speakers, then go into the ZxR control panel and enable an option resembling "Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output". That duplicates the analog signal across S/PDIF.

Optical/Toslink is a DIGITAL interface. It never even touches the sound card's DAC. You're just setting it up to process the digital signal and send the processed signal to an external DAC rather than its own DAC.

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #23 of 25
Actually you don't need to do that.
The speakers connect to the Line Level (Outputs 1 and 2 from left). If your speakers accept a 3.5mm jack, you can get an RCA to 3.5 mm converter( just an example, I don't endorse the brand or anything): http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP/ref=pd_cp_e_1
The headphone connects to the dedicated headphone out from the Xonar STX (Output 3 from left):

Hi Proton, thanks for the screenshot of the Xonar STX card, it seems to me that there is not TOSLink connector at the back of the card ?

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #24 of 25
Its one of those combo Coax/Optical connections where you need a 3.5 to TOSlink adapter to use.

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #25 of 25
Pretty simple. If you're into music more than into games, I'd recommend something like the Asus Xonar Essence line ( ST and STX, not a fan of external DACs ). That's kind of the perfect middle ground - you got both Dolby surround and superb quality audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back