External DAC for an iMac setup
Nov 26, 2007 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

reemixx

Head-Fier
I'd like to build a high quality 2 channel audio setup around my iMac.

Currently, I'm using the Lexicon Omega with some Audio Technica AD700 headphones. My iMac isn't my recording rig though, which is where I pulled the Omega from, and I don't really need so many inputs and outputs for this new setup. It'll mainly be just for headphones, with the possibility of hooking up some active speakers later on (have a set of old Altec-Lansing desktop speakers at the moment).

The setup will be for heavy music listening, and some movies (but I'll likely purchase a separate USB DAC for movies, something that can emulate surround sound in headphones, because I don't want that feature at a sacrifice to audio quality for music. Can anyone recommend me something here?).

At the moment, the sound is quite good. The headphone amp in the Omega is more than adequate power-wise, especially for the efficient AD700's. The soundstage is reasonably wide, but tonal separation could be better. Basically, I want something just to enjoy my music with. Something sort of warm sounding, not overly analytical, but without so much colouration of the sound that it becomes completely different to what it should sound like (if that makes sense, as I know all audio equipment colours the sound in some way). This setup will no doubt grow and evolve over time, as I find the funds and gain more experience with audio. But for now, all I want is my foot in the door to a high quality audio setup.

I have a strict budget, about $250 would be preferable, but $300 is also possible. Because of that, I've decided to go for a DAC + amp combo. Is this a smart thing to do? Or, because the AD700's don't really NEED a headphone amp, should I spend more on a quality DAC and purchase the amp later?

I was looking at a few different combos:
Zhaolu d2.5 (heard good things about it, and the price is good)
iBasso D1 (don't know a lot about it to be honest, but many people seem to like it)
FoobarIII (the price is attractive, and it has good reviews)
01 Amp-DAC (I'd have to save a bit longer for this one though)
E-MU 0404 USB (don't really need the MIDI ports etc)
edit: guess I should add the Corda Move to the list as well
wink.gif

Would any of these offer a lot of improvement over the Omega? Any other recommendations? Or will I need to spend big to get a noticeable sound improvement? I don't have a lot of space at the moment, but I also don't need portability and don't want to sacrifice quality just for something small. The iMac also has has an optical out, so I could put that to use instead of USB.

Sorry for the long post
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 9
Okay, well, since no-one's replying I'll make it easier...

Going from the Lexicon Omega, I want a significant jump in audio quality. Considering a DAC/amp combo to make things a little cheaper. The iBasso D1 and FubarIII are the two I'm looking at the most now. Since I'll be using it with my iMac and AD700's, and want something a little warm sounding and not too harsh, is there one I should go for over the other?

The iBasso D1 would be my pick at the moment, but I could be completely on the wrong track. Looking for something with quite a large improvement over the Omega. Will this cut it?

Nov 29, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #5 of 9
This is a guess, but given your lack of feedback, perhaps it's because not many Head-Fi'ers are familiar with the Lexicon Omega?

It looks like a serious piece of pro-audio kit, so it might have a pretty good D/A section. In that case, you might have to up your budget to get a significant upgrade in sound.

I think you're on the right track with the DAC/Amp idea. Most any cans sound better amped, I believe.

You might want to take a look at the Citypulse 7.2x II DAC. It seems to essentially be a Chinese "DAC-1" at a relatively paltry $359, and it includes a head amp. That's probably very good bang for the buck.

Don't worry, you'll get drawn in to spending all your cash on upgrades like the rest of us soon enough!
600smile.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 9
Well here's my take on the situation. I'm going to assume that this is a relatively new iMac, which utilizes the Wolfson DACs that Apple has been putting into their computers. IMO, the DAC sounds pretty good, and getting anything below a Lavry, lets say, will probably only give you a slight, if that, improvement in sound. I'd suggest either waiting and getting more money to spend on a more high-end DAC/AMP combo, or just getting an good AMP only, say a GLite, and feeding it with your iMac out.

If you really want a DAC/AMP combo now, I'd go with the E-MU 0404 USB, which I found to sound quite good for the money, although the amp definitely bottlenecks the system.

Nov 30, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 9
OracleGuy: Thanks, I'll check that one out. Have also been looking at the Zhaolu 2.5 lately, but then again, there may not be a lot of difference from the Omega to warrant the $300 with mods. Feels like I'm just stabbing in the dark on this one. And yeah, no doubt I will be bitten by the upgrade bug, especially hanging around here :p

ojnihs: I tried the the iMac's headphone out with my AD700's and I didn't much like it. Serious lack in lower frequencies and any sort of definition. That's not to say it's BAD, 'cause it's considerably better than any other stock standard onboard sound I've heard, but I know there's plenty better. The minute I tried them with the Omega (over USB) the music came alive. Granted, that may just be from the benefit of the amp, but since its DAC sounds decent, I guess I'll stick with it until I can afford something that sounds better, as you said. I suppose that would be a smarter way to go about spending.

Thanks for the help
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 9
After using a m-audio transport for awhile (eh...) with an Eddie Current EC-01, I realized I had totally forgotten the Squeezebox I have. Hooked that up last night to the EC-01, with my mac as the server. Oh my... what a difference. Sounds very good. (Squeezebox has a nice Burr-Brown dac chip)

Now I'm wondering what is the next step beyond the squeezebox?

-p

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 9
so i started out with the iBasso D1. i was very pleased with this amp, especially, the USB DAC. however, i decided to upgrade my amp to gain extra inputs and to improve the sound when not using the DAC of the D1. so now, i have the moodlab dice crunching the numbers and could not be happier with the SQ. the build quality is okay, nothing special. but the sound is very weighty without killing the definition. right now, i'm using the graham slee solo. i actually ordered 4 amps at one time. the headroom desktop max has been returned and the GSS beat out the meier corda cantate (about to sell that one off). i've got a headamp gs-1 on order, so i can probably update this post when that comes.

but if you're just looking for a one-box solution, i would strongly recommend the D1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back