external dac and soundcard?
Nov 27, 2005 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

1031tensai

New Head-Fier
sorry that im asking a probably redundant question, but i am still confused even after an extensive search through head-fi about external dacs and soundcards.

does the soundcard affect the sound quality when an external dac is connected to it?
for example,
emu 0404 => benchmark dac1
and
x-fi elite pro => benchmark dac1
which setup is better, or is it the same? isnt the dac within the soundcard completely bypassed? or is there some kind of sound quality alteration within the soundcard?

thanks in advance

Nov 27, 2005 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 7
Yes, the DAC is bypassed (because you get a digital out), but I've read that some cards (i.e. creative) resample and seem to degrade the signal. In this subjective world, however, there are those who say that even between cards with bitperfect digital outs there are differences, and jitter is the monster to be blaimed here. I cannot tell, because I never compared (let's say) an EMU and a AV710.

Nov 28, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 7
If all you are always using your DAC1 then all you need is a digital out (opt out), i.e. a simple USB to Optical converter will do the trick (like M-Audio Transit or equivalent).

I see no reason to spend a lot of money in this department.

Nov 29, 2005 at 11:05 AM Post #5 of 7
okay, so basically i need a clean digital (optical) out from my computer soundcard to an external dac.

would an av-710 my best route to take (for an audio only computer)?

PS: im thinking of buying another soundcard for movies/games too. would an elite pro fit my needs?

Nov 29, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1031tensai
okay, so basically i need a clean digital (optical) out from my computer soundcard to an external dac.

would an av-710 my best route to take (for an audio only computer)?

PS: im thinking of buying another soundcard for movies/games too. would an elite pro fit my needs?

I use it and sounds very good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back