External DAC/Amplifier for HD700s
Sep 20, 2015 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AuburnEagle23

Head-Fier
Hello there everyone.  I have had my Sennheiser HD700s for a little while now and absolutely love them.  However,  I just got done building a new pc and decided to not have a dedicated sound card and go for an external amplifier and dac possibly.  I have never owned an external amplifier/dac combo before and was curious what everyone's input would be for a good selection.  I primarily use the HD700s for classical, pop, jazz and opera in addition to gaming. 

I have read stellar reviews about Woo Audio WA7d Fireflies Duo, however; at $1199-$1598, that is a pretty hefty price, and for my purposes as well as not really being a true audiophile, I don't know if I would benefit from that particular amp/dac combo.  Not that I am opposed to paying more money, I just am not sure about the cost/benefit I would get out of it, since I have never heard the difference.

Which is why I figured I would stop in and check with my friends here at Head-Fi, since you guys have vastly more knowledge them myself.

Thanks for the input.

Sep 25, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 7
My dac/amp knowledge is pretty limited, so what would the Woo Audio Fireflies offer that the JDS Labs The Element does not?  Main thing I suppose is the fact that the Fireflies is an actual tube amp?

Sep 25, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 7
Well, there's that, and also the woo is a discrete amp and the jds labs uses op-amps, so that lowers cost a lot. The hd700 has modest power requirements, so the element might even be considered overkill. There's also the asus xonar essence stx, and that's a favorite among gamers cause it has dolby headphone for headphone surround sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back