external cd r/rw + laptop uprgrades
May 27, 2007 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

needanamp

100+ Head-Fier
i have a [size=medium]mega mega slow laptop[/size]. ripping (not burning) is very slow.

i want to rebuild my digital library in FLAC using EAC, but it would take over 500 hours! Assume i rip for 5 hours each day, thats still 3 months, and i have a life (and lots of cd's!). So, i need a new pc, or a good external drive.

question 1: regardless of the fact my processor is very old and slow, will i still be capable of fast rips+encoding into .flac files if i get a good external cd reader/writer?

question 2: will the quality of audio playback of the external hdd that i am ripping to change based on different drives?

question 3: i ONLY want this drive for DAE. nothing else. Please name a few that are good at this job and work nicely with EAC. (preferably available to purchase from the UK - i live there).

question 4 - Does the USB technology used in an external cd r/rw pose any disadvantages in comparision to an internal cd drive?

question 5 - what other factors determine the speed of the DAE and the encoding - how else can i upgrade the laptop to shorten encoding time???

May 28, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 3
have some patience. its only been 2hours.

question 1: no. encoding and fast rips=fast harddrives, fast cpu for the most part.

question 2: no. i put a 1010101000001010101 data on drive X, and i read off 1010101000001010101 from drive X. its in the digital domain.

question 3: benq dw1655, liteon or plex premium II.

question 4: no. except maybe bit slower burning speeds. if your extreme, maybe a bit of jitter due to a external power brick (i dont know better or worse than internal)

question 5: upgrade ram first (cheaper), then cpu, then hard drives.

edit: your best bet is to just get a new barebones pc without any crap and get a pair of 500 gig HDs and a good dae drive. (go to cdfreaks.com for some cd/dvd drive specific info)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back