External Battery Pack for ihp-120 (pics)
Jun 16, 2004 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dan the audioman

1000+ Head-Fier
**NOTE: THIS WAS ALSO POSTED IN THE DIY FORUM, BUT I FIGURED IT WOULD BE USEFUL TO YOU PORTABLE GUYS AS WELL**

I am going somewhere for 3 weeks where there will be very few power outlets. I need my ihp-120, so I made an external battery pack consisting of AA's that I can plug in and use when ever i need it.

When it is plugged in, the ihp-120 reads it as if it were charging (it shows the little power cable in the top right-hand corner of the screen) and the little green light comes on.

I used mostly cheap radioshack parts except for the heat shrink tubing and techflex.

Sorry if the photos are poor.

battery_pack.jpg

Here it is connected to my ihp-120:
battery_pack_connection_close-up.jpg

It even has an on-off switch!
battery_pack_on-off_switch.jpg

This was extremely easy to make and I recommend as a project even for people who have never held a soldering gun before. All you need to do is get a battery pack and the right connector and solder them together.

Enjoy!

Best Regards,
Dan

Jun 16, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 9
How much did this cost you to make? This would be a cool thing to carry with me to my CC and Track meets so I don't have to lug a charger around. This could be a cool summer project to start on
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
I get bandwidth exceeded messages.

Crap. I had to use a different image host because photobucket was being weird.

Hopefully I'll have them hosted again by tomorrow.

Sorry guys.

Regards,
Dan

Jun 17, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
How much did this cost you to make? This would be a cool thing to carry with me to my CC and Track meets so I don't have to lug a charger around. This could be a cool summer project to start on
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought the parts mainly at radioshack because I have little time before I leave for my trip. It cost me around $5 (not including the batteries).

When I got home from radioshack, I put it together in 5 minutes. It is a very simple (yet fun) project.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Dan

Jun 17, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 9
Photobucket was working! I re-hosted the pics, and now they should stay up for a long time! If you guys have any questions just ask. However, I will be gone for 3 weeks after this friday, so ask fast!
biggrin.gif

dj_digital,
Thanks for the recommendation of image shack, I'll use it as my back-up next time photobucket acts up.

Best Regards,
Dan

Jun 17, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 9
This is very easy to make. I made one for my PDA. Great thing to have for high battery drain devices. Total cost is less than $10, and you can do it with minimal soldering skills.

Here are instructions to make it for a PDA, its basically the same minus a few changes like the plug size etc...

http://www.rail-tech.com/be300/batterypack.html

Jun 17, 2004 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 9
I made one of these external battery packs for my Zen last year. It cost me around $10 to make. I didn’t want to do any soldering, so I bought an AC adaptor with multiple jacks, cut the wire from the power block and then attached it to an external “AA” battery pack that I bought from Radio Shack. It works pretty good. My Zen requires 5.0V of power, so I either have to use 3 X 1.5V AA batteries and keep the fourth compartment empty (with a dead battery or a wire) or use 4 X 1.2V rechargeable or hobby batteries.

If you don’t want to make them yourself, Austonia (a regular on this forum) is selling them on his website DAPreview.

cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back