External Battery Pack for ihp-120 (pics)
Jun 16, 2004 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dan the audioman

1000+ Head-Fier
I am going somewhere for 3 weeks where there will be very few power outlets. I need my ihp-120, so I made an external battery pack consisting of AA's that I can plug in and use when ever i need it.

When it is plugged in, the ihp-120 reads it as if it were charging (it shows the little power cable in the top right-hand corner of the screen) and the little green light comes on.

I used mostly cheap radioshack parts except for the heat shrink tubing and techflex.

Sorry if the photos are poor.

battery_pack.jpg

Here it is connected to my ihp-120:
battery_pack_connection_close-up.jpg

It even has an on-off switch!
battery_pack_on-off_switch.jpg

This was extremely easy to make and I recommend as a project even for people who have never held a soldering gun before. All you need to do is get a battery pack and the right connector and solder them together.

Enjoy!

Best Regards,
Dan

Jun 16, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 9
That's a good idea - I was even thinking of doing that to my laptop as AA batteries are rated higher in mAh than the one I have in it
smily_headphones1.gif
. However, the unfortunate issue is in your case that it will use external batteries to charge internals, which is an inefficient process and will make your externals get spent in much less time. The other option you might consider is getting a higher rated battery for your iHP-120 - on the portable forums there is a post outlining testing with some alternate batteries that raise standard playing time from 16 to 24 or even 30 hours! (30 hour battery is not yet available for sale unfortunately).

Jun 17, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by aos
That's a good idea - I was even thinking of doing that to my laptop as AA batteries are rated higher in mAh than the one I have in it
smily_headphones1.gif
. However, the unfortunate issue is in your case that it will use external batteries to charge internals, which is an inefficient process and will make your externals get spent in much less time. The other option you might consider is getting a higher rated battery for your iHP-120 - on the portable forums there is a post outlining testing with some alternate batteries that raise standard playing time from 16 to 24 or even 30 hours! (30 hour battery is not yet available for sale unfortunately).

Hmm...maybe i can switch it later. As for now, I am leaving in a few days for my trip and there is no time to order a better battery. I will have to use this one for now, but nevertheless, it will do its job well enough. Thanks for the tip.

Regards,
Dan

BTW, I had to use this cheap photo hosting because my normal one was acting weird so, the pics are already expired, hopefully by tomorrow I can re host them. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jun 17, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by aos
The other option you might consider is getting a higher rated battery for your iHP-120 - on the portable forums there is a post outlining testing with some alternate batteries that raise standard playing time from 16 to 24 or even 30 hours! (30 hour battery is not yet available for sale unfortunately).

That's if you can get the batteries. The guy who made those posts managed to get samples from wholesalers which means you'd probably have to buy 1000 or more to really get them.

Jun 17, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 9
i made this battery pack a few months ago and plan to use it this week on trip to japan.

it gets around 56 hours of continuous playback.

what you gotta do is drain the intial charge on the iriver, then turn the pack on and let the unit charge while playing back, then when its charged turn the pack off, drain the units power, and turn the pack on.....etc.

it charges the unit a total of 3 times, something like that.

Jun 17, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
SOunds interesting but you have exceeded your bandwidth usage! D'Oh!

LOL!

I just re-hosted all of the pictures, so now all should be well. Enjoy my friend.

Best Regards,
Dan

Jun 17, 2004 at 8:57 AM Post #8 of 9
good job
where to get the components ?
Quote:

This was extremely easy to make and I recommend as a project even for people who have never held a soldering gun before. All you need to do is get a battery pack and the right connector and solder them together.

extremely easy ..
664ec3a1.jpg

14611449.jpg

..I yesterday tried to do a very basic diy thing for my d303
it needs 9v
the thing doesn't work
rolleyes.gif
why ?
I plugged right way + and - wires to + and - part of connector ..
any help is very welcome

Jun 17, 2004 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 9
Dan:

I did something similar for my old-school HDD player (think NJBJ3 only clunkier) in preparation for a 20-hour bus ride. I used D-sized batteries because I needed lots of mWh, and it worked great.

What voltage does the IHP require, and what type of batteries have you been using? I'm guessing the IHP requires 5V. If you use NiMH rechargeables, 4 should give you about 4.8V. Using alkalines, you'd start at about 7.2V and go down from there. I'm just wondering how high a voltage the IHP can stand.

My player required a 5V supply, and I was able to get away with using alkalines even though the voltage starting out was high. It was really a one-time thing, and it didn't make sense for me to invest in rechargeables. But I'm curious if anyone knows what sort of voltage range into the DC input the IHP will tolerate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back