External battery pack for desktop amp?
Mar 23, 2013 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kaushama

Headphoneus Supremus
I have bought iFi iUSB, iDAC and iCAN. As iCAN has a ultra low noise AC-DC adapter I think there is still room for improvement in sound as well as transportability by having a external LIPO battery pack. I was looking at following two.

Energizer XP8000

Powerstream PST-MP3500-I

XP8000 seems to be the popular option but it does not have DC-DC converters and supply 9-12v range from one port. no real regulation. 12v may be little too high for iCAN and I have emailed them asking about it.

MP3500 has DC-DC converters and can supply exact voltage. But DC-DC converters bring more noise in to power rails????

Any one has experience or expertise to guide?

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 4
If your devices are 12 v, consider getting a sealed lead acid battery.  These are actually very good for audio.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 4
The problem I have had with SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) in other hobbies is shelf life.  You just don't know how old the cell is, and not all retailers are honest, or even know their own shelf-span themselves.  They also should be "conditioned" properly, IE used and trickle charged periodically to keep them healthy.  I have taken perfectly good, healthy 12V SLAs, stored them away for 4-5 months...and come back to try and use them again and they can't hold a charge.

LiPo is a good chemistry... if you are willing to invest in a good hobby charger and multi-meter.  You DON'T want to over-charge or over discharge this chemistry.  The LiPo pack the OP posted should have a good cell monitoring circuit built in though.

If it were me, I'd go with Eneloop AA.  You can get them at Costco for relatively cheap in a multi-pack and they are current production date codes... not older stock.  They will hold a charge for years, they are easy and SAFE cells to charge and maintain.  Unlike LiPo they won't vent toxic Lithium when over-charged or shorted.  Just wire up however many you need in series to get the V you want.  If you want more higher capacity, wire up another series pack in parallel.  They can take the heat too, so if you wanted to DIY / hard wire your own packs thtey can take it.  LiPos... you have to be careful and not over-heat the +V.

Heres a 5S-AA cooling fan array I made for another project.

Here's the last 4P Lithium-based pack I made... It was a little scary soldering the +V !!  But it worked and no Lithium gas was vented in the making of this pack. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 4
This is the iFi's answer.

Quote:
Thank you for your email.

The Energiser's 12V output will cause the protection circuitry in the iCAN to engage and shut the iCAN down.  Hence not suitable. 

The powerstream will be able to supply the correct 9V and hence should work correctly, presuming correct connectors are included.

I have found two other cheap battery packs which give 9V.

YSD-998 Chinese cheap pack

Anker Astro3

Any other options? Anyone used Chinese pack before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back