External amps/receivers/DAC's affect gaming audio performance?
May 1, 2008 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

shleepy

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently in the process of improving my PC audio setup (once I assemble a new PC, which will include an X-Fi sound card). My question is pretty simple, but might have complicated answers:

Do external amps, receivers, or DAC's affect gaming audio performance, if connected to a PCI sound card, like an X-Fi XtremeMusic? (and positively or negatively)

There seems to be a consensus that X-Fi's make for great gaming cards but generally crappy cards for listening to music, unless modded (something which I may one day do). I've got an I/O Module to be able to use optical-out. I got a decent receiver today (with 24/96 DAC's and s/pdif inputs). I've also got a Little Dot 2++ amp and a Headfive that will be coming in a couple of weeks. Thus, will the sound processing and audio positioning be better/worse/the same if I hook up the X-Fi to any of those?

May 1, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 4
The answers to those questions sort of depend on your perceptions of what is good... But yes, in general, connecting to better equipment will yield higher quality audio. If you find that the accuracy of better components helps your gaming, then you could say that they 'affect gaming audio performance.'
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 4
Here you go.

For games, if you must use an x-fi ok then. Get a digital 1/8th to rca coax(I have one if you want it for $20).

Want clean sound? Get out of the box entirely. Bypass the xfi and onboard sound crap and use a Trends Audio TD-10 or something like it. What it does is take the usb sound and outputs it in digital coax, optical, and bnc to your receiver. It works well for me.

Get some Stax too btw. lol they own gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back