EXTENSIVE COMPARISON: HD595 vs. HD650 and other high-end headphones
Jan 14, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #17 of 40
is there a chance this could to added to the review section? I thought it was very well done.

Thanks

-Chris

Jan 14, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
its what happens when your father is into audio.

Whoa you are so lucky, my dad's into audio too but I don't get crap.
frown.gif
The only thing I get is he lets me use his hd650s w/cardas (occasionally) and he let me have his old nad amp. Does your dad buy you stuff or does he make you buy it? You have a huge supply of audio equipment!

Jan 14, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Whoa you are so lucky, my dad's into audio too but I don't get crap.
frown.gif
The only thing I get is he lets me use his hd650s w/cardas (occasionally) and he let me have his old nad amp. Does your dad buy you stuff or does he make you buy it? You have a huge supply of audio equipment!

the vintage Audio Technicas were part of his collection, so now they pretty much belong to me. most of the other stuff were mainly purchased by me, except for the R10, which he helped funded. but since I'm leaving for college next year, most of these equipment will probably be left behind or sold, as I need the money for school. it has been fun though
icon10.gif

Jan 14, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #21 of 40
Again, thanks for what may be the definitive HD595 to HD650 comparison.

Jan 15, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #24 of 40
Well done. Concise and to the point!

Although new to this site, I have to agree with your conclusion re: 595 vs 650.

I own the 595's and you describe them spot on, IMO. They do respond well to tube amplification, which is why I have a custom Ear+ HD Purist on order from Mapletree.

I probably would have gotten the PPX Slam from Singlepower, but for some technical issues and the fact that it is simply too big for my setup location.

I'm considering the 650's but they are similar to the 595 in many ways though, as you say, definitely more refined and not as open sounding. Probably will end up with K701's when they become more readily available, if only to have a different sound signature in my inventory.

Thanks again for the well written review and good luck in college.

Jan 15, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #25 of 40
Nicely done! Thanks for the review. I truly feel like I know more about what I could expect if I bought the 650's.

Jan 15, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #26 of 40
Hmm makes it just that bit harder to choose I reckon
evil_smiley.gif

I was just considering ditching my AV home cinema amp for a Stereo amp, but now tube amplification lol

The one thing im worried about going HD-650 is having to turn the volume up to get some decent sound going on, with the 595s I could turn the sound to relativly low on my Sherwood HC amp and enjoy it nicely. But yeah noticed a few harsh points with its stinging treble but its nice its upfront/direct approach, and that approach the 650s may not have.

May have to buy it from a company that offers no quibble return policy....

Jan 15, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by RP2X
The one thing im worried about going HD-650 is having to turn the volume up to get some decent sound going on, with the 595s I could turn the sound to relativly low on my Sherwood HC amp and enjoy it nicely.

That's quite personal -- I tend to turn the volume higher with my 595 than with my 650, to compensate for the slight lack of fullness in the former as compared to the latter.

Jan 16, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #28 of 40
Thanks everyone.

Yes, I do believe the HD650 has a fuller sound than the HD595. Its my preference for classical and concert material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back