Extension Tubes.
Apr 24, 2008 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

panik343

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Since I can't find myself justifying spending $400+ on a macro lens lately, I need some help understanding the difference between these two extension tubes:

Canon | Extension Tube EF 25 II | 9199A001 | B&H Photo Video

Canon | Extension Tube EF 12 II | 9198A001 | B&H Photo Video

My lenses are all made for DSLR's obviously on a Canon mount, so I was wondering if anyone has had experience with these tubes. They claim to be compatible with my lenses, but I want a second opinion. Any help with my issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mike

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 7
Is an auto bellows available for Canon? If so, it could be much more versatile.

Laz

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 7
The EF12 is used for wide angle lenses under 50mm. If you are using lenses with focal lengths above 50mm, get the EF25

Even though you can use TTL metering, it would be a god idea to bracket your exposures.

Your depth of field (DOF) willl be significantly shortened so if you get very close to an object, only part of the object may be in focus. Blurring toward the outside edges of the frame are likely so keep your subject near the center of the field of view. Do a few Google searches on 'lens extension tubes' and 'macro photography'; there are a few decent articles out there.

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 7
As far as Manual Settings goes, since my lenses do not have an aperture ring on them, would i still be able to choose custom aperture? One of my friends uses extension tubes, but he has an older lens with the aperture ring on it.

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 7
I cannot answer that question about your camera. Your lens has a built in diaphram that is controlled from the camera body electronics. I would assume that control pathway is preserved with the extension tubes. Your question would best be directed to Canon USA, if possible, or in an online Canon forum.

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is an auto bellows available for Canon? If so, it could be much more versatile.

Laz

How would a bellows be more versatile than an extension tube set? I doubt that a person who isn't willing to spend $400+ on a macro lens won't really need to get closer than an extension tube set will allow him or her to get...stacked Kenko tubes can get you pretty damn close.

Oh and to the OP, you should definitely try to get the Kenko tube set over a Canon tube. There isn't any optical or performance difference and you save a lot of money. And if you're going to get tubes, you'll definitely want a set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back