Extension cords...yet again
Dec 12, 2001 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dusty Chalk

Head-Fi-holic: With headphones would just be a benny.
Why doesn't Clou make an extension cord? That would be perfect.

Anyway, what is the best extension chord? I'm using my Beyer 770's at home on the RKV, and the chord is just too short (it's okay for the office, because the equipment is all right by each other, but at home, the computer and the amp are clear across the room from each other). Here's what I've seen so far, of the choices:

Grado
DiMarzio Silver
DiMarzio "Big Red"
Kimber Kable's PBJ (is this effectively one run or two?)
Ted's Excellent Earcandy

Sonic Horizon
Sonance
(I got these last two from one guy's post here -- he said he got "Morgami" cables from HCM Audio, so I went to the HCM Audio site, and those are two that they sell/give away.)

I would also like answers in the cost-no-object categories and best-bang-for-the-buck categories. If there are other choices, but you don't have an opinion (I.E. "I heard about this other one"), please add it to the list at least.

I would prefer to spend less than US$100.

Not doing this anytime soon, just beginning to shop around.

I need full frequency extension and as flat a frequency response as possible. I'm already pretty happy with my system, so don't want another cable to ruin it. I'm tempted to go with the "Big Red", due to the use of the keyword "transparent" in Headroom's description, but it strikes me as expensive (I certainly can't afford it right now). What would be the nearest possible contender? Headroom's language doesn't make it clear what the next best runner up is (as they can't, since they want to sell them all).

Dec 12, 2001 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 8
Clou makes extensioncords. But I think you have to make a special order for that. I tried a Clou Red extensioncord for my DT990's a while back. Didn't notice any sonic degradations, but the stock cable with the Pro phones don't seem that special so that's hardly suprising. They cost 900 SKR (~$85) which is cheaper than the extension cables for the Sennheiser phones.

Dec 12, 2001 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 8
I use the grado extention cord.
Works well for me and I detect no degradation.
It would be my bang for buck entry.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2001 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 8
I've had the Grado and DiMarzio Silver... Ended up selling the Grado and keeping the DiMarzio. Sound difference was VERY subtle, in the Silver's favor (I mean really really really really subtle, but there). I also really liked the build quality of the silver, and especially enjoy the locking headphone jack.

Dec 13, 2001 at 5:58 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Sound difference was VERY subtle, in the Silver's favor (I mean really really really really subtle, but there).

Like I said. bang for buck.
biggrin.gif

The silver does look cool though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2001 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 8
I also went with the Digrazio silver over the Grado on seller's recommendation. Very happy and expect to be ecstatic (ex-static?) when I get it properly burned in. Connectors are also very high grade. Otherwise, since form follows function, I don't care what color it is as long as it sounds good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2001 at 7:49 AM Post #7 of 8
dusty: I believe it's "mogami"....highly touted among musicians. Some mogami products actually cross-over and are used by audiophiles "in the know".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back