Extension cables for headphones.
Sep 2, 2008 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

freak

New Head-Fier
I want to buy an aextension cable to my AKG K701? I don't want it to add anything to the signal, as if it wasn't there.
wink.gif

What do you think of this one?

or maybe grado extension cable?

What would you suggest?

Sep 2, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 7
Firstly you've got to ask yourself to do you believe that the cable has any affect on SQ if you don't believe it does just go for the cheap electronic shop 3.5mm extender cables. However if you believe that a cable does have an affect on SQ I've heard that the grado extension cables are quite good.

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 7
You can't ask yourself nothing before you first try an extension cable. With the cheaper stuff the differences aren't really a matter of belief
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 7
I don't really believe brand name cables have clearly audible effect on the signal they transmit. However I am sure that crappy cable can destroy sound quality.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 7
Grado's extension cable is not expensive and it should be top quality in that price class anyway. You should experience with the cheaper cables first, because you just might find yourself in a situation you don't hear a difference. Then it's all saved money.
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 7
"freak"; when I wanted an extension cable for my Senn HD650's I bought a replacement cable from Sennheiser and had a Head-Fi member put a Neutrik end on it and it worked perfectly. Did the same with my AKG701. Now adding another cable w5000.
My feeling was, why not stay with the same cable as it shouldn't change the signature sound.

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 7
Many here have re-cabled their K701. Perhaps you can buy the original cable by placing an ad, then you can re-terminate the end that goes into the left earpiece w/ a 1/4" female plug. Then you would have an extension w/ the same cable you already have.

Or if you have the money have the K701 recabled w/ a 15 or 20 foot cable. Contact S2 for an inexpensive alternative, btw they use mogami copper cable. Or if you have a desire for a silver over copper contact Alex of APureSound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back