Extension cable question
Mar 17, 2004 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Duxxy

100+ Head-Fier
Just forwarding a question from ign boards and wanted to see what people here thought:

I just recently picked up the best headphones available in the $150 price range. For what I'm using them for, I need about a 20 ft. extension cord.

My question is, will the el cheapo Radio Shack extension cords noticeably degrade the quality of the audio? I know that theoretically there will be "insertion loss" regardless of the quality of your extension cord. My question is whether or not that loss in quality will be noticeable.

I only ask because I cannot find extension cords that appear to be of good quality and I'd hate to lose the quality I just paid for in the phones.

The dude at the local audio store where I buy all my equipment offered to make me an ext. cord from $3/ft cable and professional grade connectors ($20 a pop)...but that's a bit pricey for an extension cord. I'm probably willing to pay $30 to $40.

Mar 17, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 7
I bought a crappy extension cable from Fry's. On "good" days, I imagine I can hear a difference driving my Senn 580/600. On most days, I can't tell jack. Take it for what it's worth.

Headroom has a nice 15' grado extension cable here: http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0050090000

All the 20' cables are >2x the price.

Mar 17, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Duxxy
I'm probably willing to pay $30 to $40.

That would get Grado's 15 foot extension cable here.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 7
I would recommend the link I posted instead of eyeteeth's link out of sheer spite!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 18, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
I would recommend the link I posted instead of eyeteeth's link out of sheer spite!
evil_smiley.gif

OOPS! Sorry about that, I apologize ooheadsoo. Duxxy, ooheadsoo's is better
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back