Extended Resolution CD XRCD
Dec 10, 2002 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

john_jcb

This is a customized witticism.
While in Dallas last week we came across a series of CD's that are manufactured by a process called XRCD by JVC. My boss bought one by an Asian artist Jacintha "Heres to Ben" A tribute to Ben Webster. I don't know if it her voice or the recording but this is one of the best sounding CD's I have ever heard. I sat there in the showroom listening through two Cary Monoblocs and was blown away.

Has anyone else listened to anything in this format?

Here is some info I found:

http://www.xrcd.net/Shopping/process.asp

Dec 10, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 7
I saw quite a few at the expo this past May in Manhattan...never read anything about them before so i didnt bother buying one
frown.gif

Dec 10, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 7
I have 'Thus spake Zarathustra' on XRCD. The sound of the brass instruments is very rich, natural and lifelike. But there's some audible hiss, which I assume is from the original master tape (since my system is extremely quiet).

I have the impression that most classical XRCDs are re-releases of old recordings, with all the attendant flaws, such as the aforementioned hiss. Maybe the jazz and pop ones are better, but I don't have any of those.

Dec 10, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
How much were they, if you remember? The original, JVC ones, I've seen for $30. . . :-/

Yeah, they for $30...that's why i didn't bother with them, although i did look thru their stock...i can't remember who, but they a lot of pickings from one artist. I wound up picking up The Doors "waiting for the sun" japanese LP from red trumpet's stand
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #7 of 7
I've purchased several of these XRCD discs. IMHO the sound quality is as good as it gets without going to any of the new high resolution formats.

In the Eagles, "Hell Freezes Over" disc, part of the CD actually lets the music sound as if real players are in the room. Through speakers that is.
biggrin.gif

Are they worth the price? Well, I've voted with my wallet. However only you can make that choice yourself. As far as I'm concerned the actual recording is the second most important part of the entire recorded music chain. (Second to your ears.) To me it makes sense to get the best software possible.

YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back