eXStata Build thread : Electrostatic amp designed by Alex Cavalli
Jun 9, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #16 of 43
Hi guys, I'm wiring up my exstata at the moment and I have a couple of questions.  Still trying to figure out which end of the soldering iron to use.  Ive built a couple of kits, but this time I bought a mostly completed board from a fellow headfier, and am a little confused about how to hook up the transformer and what to do with the heater wires.  Its this guy and it has 8 wires, 4 red/black marked i/p which i assume is input at 115v, and 4 blue/green marked o/p at 20v.  How do i hook this guy up?  

Also, what do I do with the wiring for the heaters.  The diagram has something about another transformer, but....  

Thanks!!!

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #17 of 43
I mean no disrespect my friend. its great that you want to get into DIY and build an amp like the eXStatA..but please do yourself a favor and start with something a lot less complex (even though I consider the exstata to be a straight forward build). 

The questions you have asked make me concerned for your safety..and think those boards need to be packed away till you understand to read basic schematics and know how to wire up a transformer or know what transformer needs to be used. 

Or i think someone has to confiscate those exstata boards from you for your own good. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #18 of 43

Quote:
Is schaeffer this website ? I don't see the pricing anywhere. Do you have an idea of how much they are going to charge me for a few holes on the front and back panel ands some ventilation holes ?

The website is http://www.schaeffer-ag.de/

You have to download the "Designer de Faces Avant 4.01" in the download section.
With this program you can design your frontplates and in the end it calculates how
much this will cost. They're not cheap - but theres no competition for them.
The prices are still ok I think.

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #19 of 43
I've built a couple of stereo tube amplifiers, but they had a bit more directed information than the exstata.  Either way, it would be a lot more helpful to have some assistance...  I am extremely careful and am attempting to clarify a lack of understanding that I have before finish wiring up the amplifier.  I have a good idea of whats going on but I haven't encountered this before and Im at a bit of a loss because I didn't order these parts or put the board together, so I'm trying to reconstruct someone elses process.  Like debugging someone else's code.  If you'd like to assist, that would be great.  Otherwise I'll probably electrocute myself and it'll be on your head.  I'll do my best to haunt the crap out of you if that happens...

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #21 of 43
Of course, as well as much of the eXstata thread.  I guess I'll just duck into Valve Amplifiers and see if I can find the answer to my questions.

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #23 of 43
That can't be the right torroid, as you need 480VCT, with 6.3v heaters. There is a spec sheet on every Antek that has a wiring diagram. Obviously, I'm missing something.

We are all here to help, but note I can no longer post from work due to the forum change, so I'm hit and miss, schedule wise.

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #24 of 43
I'm kind of with Sachu on this.  If you can't look at the trafo wiring diagram and figure out what the primaries are I think you should not proceed until you have someone at least sitting beside you (as in physically there, not web help) to help wire this up.  The voltages in play are not trivial, lethal in fact, and shouldn't be taken lightly. 

And as pabbi1 said, the trafo that you linked to is completely wrong for this amplifier so hopefully that's just a matter of a link gone awry.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #26 of 43
I guess I'll just shelve this project for now....  Which stinks cuz I just sold my last Stax amp, but it seems like the right thing to do in this situation.   Hopefully I can come back to it in a month or so.  I ll have to contact the seller about the transformer.  Thanks guys

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #28 of 43
I have a pair of Stax SRX that haven't been used for many years & would like to resurrect them with a decent amp.  Having successfully constructed three Cavalli designs (Bijou, SOHA II, EHHA), I'd very much like to move sideways into a stat amp.  So I was wondering whether there is any chance of another board run sometime soon?

Thanks.

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #29 of 43

Quote:
I have a pair of Stax SRX that haven't been used for many years & would like to resurrect them with a decent amp.  Having successfully constructed three Cavalli designs (Bijou, SOHA II, EHHA), I'd very much like to move sideways into a stat amp.  So I was wondering whether there is any chance of another board run sometime soon?

Thanks.

Yes, runeight will do another group buy board run in July.  There was a lot of confusion WRT whether the eXStatA was being pulled from DIY and going commercial.  The eXStatA will stay DIY, there may a commercial 'stat amp in the future, but it will not be an eXStatA. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #30 of 43

Quote:
Yes, runeight will do another group buy board run in July.  There was a lot of confusion WRT whether the eXStatA was being pulled from DIY and going commercial.  The eXStatA will stay DIY, there may a commercial 'stat amp in the future, but it will not be an eXStatA. 

That's good news indeed.  I'll start getting some parts together & keep a watch on this list for notice of the board run.

Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back