ExpressPCB printing for making your own PCBs
Dec 25, 2003 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

greyhorse

100+ Head-Fier
I just finished drawing a layout of a simple DAC using Express PCB, but was disappointed to find that the software prints the layout on a grey background with grid dots. With the grey and the dots, I don't think that I can get a proper exposure with the layout as it is.

I seem to recall that the older version of the software didn't print the layout with any sort of background, but can anybody recall if this is true? If this is true, does anyone know of a place I can get hold of the software? Thanks in advance.

Dec 27, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 6
ITZBITZ,

Thanks for your suggestion, but while it might work with other layout software, ExpressPCB is uniquely unsuited for this. The problem is that the screen resolution of the program is very poor, resulting in jagged edges on diagonal and curved lines. Pin holes for DIP components are also considerably smaller than the real thing.

Jan 9, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 6
Just finished making a PCB using the printout from ExpressPCB 4.1.1. Although the grid dots remain, the grey background doesn't seem to have a negative impact on how well the exposure goes. Any place where the grid dots made contact with the traces, I just scraped the dots off with a hobby knife, so even the dots didn't pose a serious problem. If you're making PCBs with DIP components, Express PCB should be usable for the layout.

Not I gotta test how well it works with SSOP components like the DIR1704.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back