Exporting Cross-fades to MP3 Players
Mar 9, 2004 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Analog_Kid

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking about getting a flash mp3 player, but I want to be able to make my own mixes, with cross faded songes, and I want to be able to control the length of the pause between songs track by track (so I can get the right "feel" between songs).

Do any of the flash mp3 players allow this, or do you have to accept the default pause between tracks?

Who out there has exported a cross fade to their player?

I know Rio has cross fading software, but I don't know if the cross fade can be put on the player.

Do you have to use the software that comes with the player to transfer songs on to it, or can you use another program to make your play list?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mar 9, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 7
The Rio Karma cross fades between any tracks depending on the settings - but only up to 3 seconds. It doesn't matter what playlist or what software made the playlist - the player does this on the fly. No other portable MP3 player does this yet.

Mar 9, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 7
The Rio Karma (and maybe a few others) have a crossfade that's created (like desktop players) on the fly between two songs. If you want the crossfade to be "in" the song (so you can move it around) you're going to have to do that in an advanced editor. I did this a bit in Jam. You could then encode. You could also hijack or capture a crossfaded audio stream (even from your player) and encode that. You could even impose a crossfeed at the same time for headphone listening.

Otherwise I don't know of any way to "export" a crossfade.

EDIT: ... and welcome to Head-Fi.

Mar 10, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 7
Check out this site for an excellent crossfader for winamp 2 (and5?)

www.sqrsoft.com.ar

You will also find a Disk-Write plugging which allows you to use your cross fade settings to export entire mixes cross faded into each other. The output is wav I think so it has to be re-encoded. It also means some quality is lost in the process (during re-encoding) but nothing too serious. Indeed if you re-encode at the same quality the loss should be inaudible.

The output can either be one massive wav file or else split as the original tracks were.

[size=xx-small]edit: Splelling :p[/size]

Mar 10, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 7
It seems to me that you could rip the cd to a lossless format, apply the cross fade, output it to wav (no data loss yet) and then encode from the wav to the lossy format of your choice without adding any lossy-lossy artifacts or quality loss.

Mar 10, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks to everyone for the responses -

Based on the above, I need to learn some more about the different formats (wav, ogg, aac, etc.) and which ones are "lossy" and "lossless" - and which ones are supported by different players.

Rather than posting a new thread, I'm sure something like this is already up - can anyone post a link to it?

Thanks, again!

Mar 10, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 7
Basically HydrogenAudio is the Head-Fi of the compression world.

For HD based portables, generally most support MP3, WMA, and WAV. The iPod supports MP3, AAC, and WAV/AIFF (in addition to AA for audiobooks). Some of the Rios and iRivers support Ogg (Vorbis). The Rio Karma support FLAC. That is the one lossless compression support out there right now. Sometimes though people say "lossless" when they mean "uncompressed". Technically correct for the ripping side, but technically wrong for the compression type (which it isn't).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back