Export PC audio to power amp
Jan 9, 2023 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

NickMDal

New Head-Fier
We need to connect a Windows 10 machine (Fidelizer and Musichi Suite for classical) to a power amp (wired to outdoor speakers. This is to bring
sweet Beethoven to our patio!

The patio amp (speaker wires through wall) is SMSL SA400 and speakers Bowers & Wilkins AM-1

The SA400 has a bluetooth antenna (aptX only). So for better sound, I think I need a DAC to connect to the amp. Then transmit the PC signal by air to the amp?

Is there a reasonably priced preamp that can receive a PC aptx hd wireless transmission? Then XLR or RCA from DAC to the amp.

I really need help with this and would be so grateful!

Jan 9, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 11
I think there are many holes that need to be answered in your request to help before you climb down that rabbit hole.

If it was me, I would start just with a PC transmitter and get the amp and speakers running to determine how it sounds.
All you need is a transmitter, so I would get this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0838YPSZT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The second one you list does both transmit and receive. Your buying functionality that you don't need.

The amp has a built in DAC as the bluetooth signal is digital. Something is inside to convert that digital bluetooth signal to analog to feed the amp section. The dac is not the best quality I'm sure, but it might be enough for the source quality feeding it and the listening environment your speakers are in. As for the PC transmitter, I would hook it up via optical or coax. You do not want to feed an analog (rca) signal into it as the PC digital signal gets converted to analog, this then requires the PC transmitter to convert from analog to digital so it can send the stream via bluetooth, which then has the amp convert the digital to analog. To much conversion with cheap conversion chips. You only want to convert the digital source/signal once.

I would take a step back then to see how it sounds, and determine what options to then move forward. I am not clear on the original music source quality (mp3 96 kb vs 24/96 flac say). How good is the listening environment on the patio? That is, how good does it really need to be. Are you doing critical listening, or is it the background while you lounge in the space.

Walk before you run.

Jan 9, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 11
Thank you so much for helping. The problem with the antenna on the amp is that it is aptx, not aptxHD. So the new transmitter receiver pair was to bump the transmission signal quality up.

The source is wma lossless. This is an extensive lifelong collection of ripped quality Beethoven CDs. Fidelizer gives the computer audio a significant boost in quality as it takes over the CPU so that it can focus on music only. That's how I understand it works.

We listen intently to each piece. No background music at all. Our indoor system that the PC is connected to sounds beautiful. The shape of the room seems to be ideal.

Went outside we usually use Grados since the current Yamaha system we have is pretty low end. It's all trios, quartets, sonatas, etc.. So quality is everything.

Jan 10, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks! The WiiM looks great but the SMSL SA-400 doesn't have wifi. So it looks like I'll need a pair of these (transmit/receive).

Would you connect the (receiving) WiiM pro to the SMSL by RCA or digital coax?

The transmitting WiiM would connect to ethernet. I assume it would serve as a network device on Windows. Have to research that.

Jan 10, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 11
Digital, use the DAC of the SMSL.
You can't use a pair, that is not how it works. Use the PC as a DLNA server, use the WiiM as a renderer/control point.
Thank you but if the WiiM is connected to the network or PC, how does the SMSL receive the wifi signal? The antenna is bluetooth aptx only.

ohh... The WiiM is connected to the SMSL by coax. It picks up the wifi signal sent out by the PC, which is a DLNA server sending music over the wifi.

All of our PCs and printers are ethernet. However one laptop and both cells use the wifi. Will that slow the music stream? (This is all new to me! :)

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 11
Jan 11, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 11
That makes sense! Foobar mobile??? Wow I use Foobar as the Windows player. Musichi sends the music to the player. Nice tip!

Also didn't know about the WTC website. Thanks so much!

Jan 12, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 11
Hmm... Just got the SMSL and WiiM today. My mistake. The SMSL has no digital input. I can't believe I mistook the SW Out for a Coax.

What would you do? Guessing the WiiM DAC isn't that great. If I connect by RCA, there is only the one digital to analog conversion, done by the WiiM. What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back