Exploring IEM.. Can IEM produce bass like an over the ear setup?
May 8, 2010 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

cue003

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I am about to embark on the IEM journey and wanted to get a couple questions answered before making the investment.

• Can IEM provide some of the same "deep" and hard hitting bass that over the ear phones generally produce?
  • Is the mid-bass section good on IEMs?
  • Can this be achieved without a portable mini amp between the source and the IEM?
  • what is the best amp source.... Small and very portable is key for me.

I am looking to possibly go full out with potential purchase of JH 13 or 16 or the UE 18. Music choices are Jazz, blues, reggae, soul, r&b etc. Music that you "feel". :) Any and all advise welcome. Thx Curtis

May 8, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 17
I haven't heard any of the three, but judging by reviews if you want bass you can feel the JH16 your dream IEM. The bass really isn't the same (to me), but it may be different on higher end IEMs. The more area the bass is heard/felt by, the stronger it seems, so IEMs can have a hard time reproducing it.

May 8, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 17
1) I can tell you the dynamic drivers of the Monsters Pro Gold, Copper, and Miles Davis will give you some seriously tight, punchy bass in an IEM.  I've heard and read great things about the JH16's, I have no first hand knowledge if those BA's represent Bass the same way.

Monster bass ranking (Most to least): Gold, MD, Copper 

I don't think the Monsters will give you the reference quality you seek by buying the Jerry Harveys though.  They are a musical/entertaining type of phone w/ Copper being the most reference like.

2) Mid/Bass is fantastic on the MD's

3) MD's do it w/o an amp, an amp would bring out the best in them though.  They like power as all the monster Pros do.

4)Arrow 12HE is the best truly portable amp atm IMO.   

May 8, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 17
A good IEM can produce some serious deep thumping bass. But it's up to you do decide though, perhaps stopping by shops to try out IEMs before buying them is a good idea.

May 8, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 17

1) I can tell you the dynamic drivers of the Monsters Pro Gold, Copper, and Miles Davis will give you some seriously tight, punchy bass in an IEM.  I've heard and read great things about the JH16's, I have no first hand knowledge if those BA's represent Bass the same way.

Monster bass ranking (Most to least): Gold, MD, Copper 

I don't think the Monsters will give you the reference quality you seek by buying the Jerry Harveys though.  They are a musical/entertaining type of phone w/ Copper being the most reference like.

2) Mid/Bass is fantastic on the MD's

3) MD's do it w/o an amp, an amp would bring out the best in them though.  They like power as all the monster Pros do.

4)Arrow 12HE is the best truly portable amp atm IMO.   

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check out the monster iem. I looked at some pics and the metal on those look like it will be heavy. Do they pull out of your ear at all due to the weight? I listened to other monster headphone products (Beats by Dre ....Studios) and found the bass to be bloated and very in your face. I am hoping for tight and powerful delivery.....if possible. I was thinking custom since most of the time the STD round in ear setups hurt my ear after 30 min or so. Keep the feedback coming.

May 8, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 17
Nah the beats, dres, gagas, coolios, whateveros are crap.  In fact, when I was at CES in January we walked by the Monster booth and a guy handed us some beats to hear.  We laughed/vomited and pulled those things out of our ears ASAP.  The guy asked us to try out the Pros and we told him to go...well...u know.  I decided to try the Monster Pros based on reviews here, I was very skeptical since I had my sights on Ety's at the time.  If you check around people agree they aren't heavy in ear, and w/ the foam hybrid supertips will be well planted and comfy.  My concern for you is that you seem to be looking for IEM's in another league if you are considering the JH13/16's  I don't know what your fun to reference ratio is in you quest.  As for tips, you can always get custom sleeves to put over any universal IEM also, usually the best solution for dynamic drivers.

May 8, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 17
havent listened to the ones you've listed either,...but they are on my current lusting list.

but i believe its more a matter of taste,...

when i bought my first iem's, a pair of cheap sony's I was heavy into dubstep which really pumps out the lows, 30-50hz,.. and if you ask me iem's are the only things can can give you that feeling of being affected by the bass as opposed to just hearing it.

i loved my IE8's until the cable crapped out on me.... and since iem's i'm simply not satisfied with full size headphones. not that i've listened to really good ones, but its not really a good vs bad argument.

I mix, and i'll repeat what I told another mixer/producer,....

mixing on fullsize and speakers to me feels like i'm looking at the music, like listening to a car and diagnosing the problem fromthe sidewalk.

but iem's feel like i'm inside, under the hood of the music which makes it easier to pull apart and fix.

dont know how useful that is to you but i hope it helps in some way.

its really a taste thing so yeah, best thing would be to just try a pair, any pair and see if you like the feel and then go from there and refine what you're looking for.

May 8, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 17
The Monsters are light, I haven't heard the Copper and Gold, but I have tried Miles Davis. Both my FX-700 and Miles Davis has better clarity than IE8, and has better bass extension and impact. I am gonna sell the IE8 for around 200 a few more days after this.

May 9, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
The Monsters are light, I haven't heard the Copper and Gold, but I have tried Miles Davis. Both my FX-700 and Miles Davis has better clarity than IE8, and has better bass extension and impact. I am gonna sell the IE8 for around 200 a few more days after this.

The Gold(and I assume the Copper) is all but light, it's probably the heaviest IEM I have had. I don't think I can break the housing if I tried but the fit is iffy. From what I understand the MD is lighter and smaller (and not built like a tank) :wink:

May 9, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
The Gold(and I assume the Copper) is all but light, it's probably the heaviest IEM I have had. I don't think I can break the housing if I tried but the fit is iffy. From what I understand the MD is lighter and smaller (and not built like a tank) :wink:

While the cables of the MD are thinner than the others, I personally believe the MD housing is better built than the Gold or Copper.  Unlike the Copper and Gold that have that parting line which has had some issues on a few Coppers, the MD's have no parting line as such for potential failure.

May 9, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
While the cables of the MD are thinner than the others, I personally believe the MD housing is better built than the Gold or Copper.  Unlike the Copper and Gold that have that parting line which has had some issues on a few Coppers, the MD's have no parting line as such for potential failure.

I wouldn't know. Never had the MD, I just knew that the Gold was damn hard to fit. Anyway, I'm kind of wondering the reverse. I have one of the more raved IEM at the moment, the Ortofon er7. I am getting a HD600 to see if high end full size is better sounding or is iem pretty much up to par now.

May 9, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #14 of 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back