explain what an eargasm is to you...
Jan 22, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #16 of 26
...when Billy Corgan and company enter in full distorted force in "Today"....

....When Holst's Mars Bringer of War builds up to its full fury....

...Every single note of Walt Mink's Overgrown....

...When I first heard Hellecasters on my Grade sr60....

...When I first heard Mahler's 6th on my dt880s.....

eargasms are intensely personal experiences, it varies from person to person...but i think that its basically those little moments when you just thank the heavens that you're a music lover, and headphones or not, the music just overwhelms you and you cant help but drop a jaw or shed a tear or wear a silly grin as the music engulfs you and all that is left is you and the music, the beautiful music.

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even you're aware that listening for period of times is hazardous, you simply can't let it go.

hazardous?? how is listening for period of times hazardous?

you're scaring me

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None of these descriptions seem to describe an eargasm for me. It only happens in very few pieces of music, and it is not merely hearing that the music is fantastic, but properly feeling it.

With me, I can feel it coming a mile off, there's a build up, almost feels like pressure in my spine, and then I get chills, goosebumps, and then finally when it hits, it's a proper head back, body arching moment, leaving me almost incapacitated.

It's nothing you can possibly really explain without having experienced one. Some moments that give me an eargasm are
1) The climax of "Great Gate Of Kiev" in Mussorgsky's "Pictures"
2) Several Climaxes (climaces?) in Strauss' Ein Heldenleben.
3) The end of the scat solo in "Feeling Good" by Nina Simone, when the band drops back in.

In essence, it's about the LEAST gear-dependent phenomenon out there. As long as your gear is above a bare minimum threshold, allowing you to forget about it (and Portapros out of a Nano is enough for me, I tested it) then it's a pure and visceral enjoyment of the music. For that moment, the gear, the room, the rest of the world is totally and utterly irrelevant.

I like this explanation.

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #20 of 26
When I am seriously concentrating on the music and I get this great feeling throughout my body as well as the goosebumps, that's what I would call an 'eargasm'.

It is not dependent on the quality of the audio equipment I have, it depends on the music. I need the music to elicit a certain mental picture or feeling for me to get this 'eargasm'. I can get this feeling multiple times with the same recording, again and again so long as I'm concentrating.

I've had them on the cheapest speakers/headphones, so it's ridiculous to think that you need high end audio equipment to get it. For me at least.

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #21 of 26
I think it is when something sounds much better than you expected, it has not much to do with the equipment but rather the music. Sometimes it's just a special moment in a song that sounds so good.
For example the first time I heard Frank Solari on K701. It was like "I Never knew guitar strings can sound so nice?!".

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had them on the cheapest speakers/headphones, so it's ridiculous to think that you need high end audio equipment to get it. For me at least.

I agree and dissagre here, for me It's a combination of good SQ and the right music, otherwise I would not buy new and better equipment. It does not need to be expensive or supergood, quite cheap stuff can do it, but the better the sound the bigger the eargasm.

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #23 of 26
Does anyone else ever feel physical pleasure *in* their ears, kind of like a subtle orgasm? This has happened a few times to me. It's similar to when you're holding off a sneeze, and you get that weirdly pleasant intense feeling in your nose..except in your ears.

It happened recently when I listened to the last movement of Mahler's 9th with my Millett Max and K701's. This is by far the best music setup I've heard, and I got totally lost in the music. Mahler's 9th is a pretty spooky, spiritual thing to get lost in, too. When it finally hit the climax, it was quite "eargasmic."

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i still don't know what it is..

It's orgasm, but the difference is that you don't have to worry about the consequences....
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone else ever feel physical pleasure *in* their ears, kind of like a subtle orgasm? This has happened a few times to me. It's similar to when you're holding off a sneeze, and you get that weirdly pleasant intense feeling in your nose..except in your ears.

It happened recently when I listened to the last movement of Mahler's 9th with my Millett Max and K701's. This is by far the best music setup I've heard, and I got totally lost in the music. Mahler's 9th is a pretty spooky, spiritual thing to get lost in, too. When it finally hit the climax, it was quite "eargasmic."

oooo, yeah, sneezes are orgasmic!

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #26 of 26
Pure musical pieces with zero vocals/minimal lyrics (usually classicals) have a eargasmic effect on me, because they are the ones that tend to get me emotionally involved or gets my heart thumping.

But it's not only music for me. Sometimes watching an action sequence in a movie and hearing every single minute detail the sound engineer has slaved over gives me that feeling too.

I have a bad habit of running a separate train of thought, even when listening to music, watching a movie or gaming. Eargasm for me is those few seconds when all my senses are fully immersed in the experience, when my ears hear not my inner thoughts and is solely focused on the sound fed through my headphones. I may or may not get that shiver of pleasure coursing through my body that gives me the goosebumps.

So far, I can only expect the ATH-AD900 to deliver consistent eargasm. Good music doesn't necessarily need a good rig to give you eargasm, but you'll be launched into a whole new world if your setup is good. Of course, nothing beats attending a live orchestra performance.

[size=xx-small]4th Movement from Symphony No. 9, Juno Reactors' Mona Lisa Overdrive, War Dogs, 2001's Also Sparch Zarathursta, Matrix: Revolution's Navras, In the Hall of the Mountain King, O Fortuna, Ride of the Valkyrie, Holst's Mars, the whole effin' Nutcracker Suite, 1812 Overture, FFVII:AC's One Winged Angel, Yoko Kanno's Zero Signal and TANK!, Paul Ruskay's Homeworld soundtrack, Hero's soundtrack esp. Warriors, Star Wars IV, V, VI soundtrack, LOTR soundtrack, Evangelion soundtrack esp. Angel Attack I, II, III etc. Exceptions include APC's Pet, Passive, Outsider, RATM's Testify, Guerilla Radio, Sleep Now in the Fire, Yoko Kanno's Inner Universe, Rise, Living Inside the Shell, Beauty Is Within Us, I Can't Be Cool.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back