Experiment Setup to end cable and 16 vs 24 bit etc. debates
Sep 17, 2019 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

xenoVa

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone

It is 2019 and people are still debating if certain things make a difference or not (cables, 16 vs 24 bit, FLAC vs WAV and many more. The problem is, people still discuss things subjectively and make subjective tests instead of doing simple experiments which will give objective results.

I designed a very simple experiment, it will tell as if a certain parameterer makes a difference or not. Two identifical audio systems will be used, everything will be the same expect the parameter we are researching for. In my example it is the cable. The sound outputs will be recorded and analyzed.

drlhf4o.png

Then we will compare results of the two analysis.
If they are the same or the difference is
indistinguishable small, we will declare that there isn't a sonic difference between the cables.

If analyses show a difference, we will repeat the experiment many times with various gears. If the results always show a certain difference (i.e highs being louder with Cable B) we will declare that there is a difference, highs sound louder with Cable B.

This experiment can be used for testing any parameter. Want to test 16 vs 24 bit? Set everything the same and play 16 bit audio from the one system and 24 bit from the other. Then compare the results.

Easy, isn't it? . Do I miss something or no one ever thought making such an experiment?
drlhf4o

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back