Experiences with Nuforce Customer Service
Jan 3, 2009 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tokkun

Head-Fier
I had been eagerly awaiting my NE-7Ms based on the positive reviews in this forum, so I was quite disappointed when I plugged them in for the first time and found them to be defective. Mid-range frequencies were attenuated to the point that I couldn't even hear the vocals in some songs and others had an echo effect which indicated some phase difference between the earpieces.

So it looks like I will need to exchange them, but I was wondering if anyone had some experience with dealing with Nuforce's CS and could give me an idea of how fast and easy getting a replacement will be. The little manual said that warranty service requires me to ship them the defective unit at my expense, which does not seem very cool since the original pair was defective on arrival.

One more less serious but still annoying quality control issue is that instead of sending me the typical 2 small, 2 medium, 2 large tips, they sent me only 1 large and 3 medium.

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tokkun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had been eagerly awaiting my NE-7Ms based on the positive reviews in this forum, so I was quite disappointed when I plugged them in for the first time and found them to be defective. Mid-range frequencies were attenuated to the point that I couldn't even hear the vocals in some songs and others had an echo effect which indicated some phase difference between the earpieces.

What's the source? It sounds like a bad mis-matched connection of the 4-pin plug in certain 3-pin jack. Check this by pressing down the button (Shorts the microphone pin to Ground).

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 12
I received mine not too long ago and have the same mid-range problem. I cannot hear vocals pretty much at all in the new Metallica Album - Death Magnetic. I didnt know if it was a defective driver or what, but it's weird you are having the same issue. Please let me know what they do for you.

Jan 3, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by busyx2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the source? It sounds like a bad mis-matched connection of the 4-pin plug in certain 3-pin jack. Check this by pressing down the button (Shorts the microphone pin to Ground).

Well, you were right on the money. If I push down the button, the problem goes away completely. It also goes away if I don't insert the plug in all the way, leaving about 2mm of metal showing. I tried it when plugged in directly to my stereo's headphone jack and when plugged in through a headphone extension cable and noticed the same thing. When I tried it on my Nintendo DS, I got absolutely no sound unless I partially unplugged it, however on my PSP it worked fine when plugged all the way in. So 75% of the jacks I tried it in showed problems.

So is this a defect in my unit or a known issue with the NE-7M? If it was common to have this problem, I would have thought I would have heard about it already. A lot of people own the DS...

By the way, when they're working properly they sound fantastic.

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 12
My experience with Nuforce has been top notch...

Jan 3, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 12
I had a problem with my NuForce Icon Mobile and emailed their customer service and posted on their support section on their website. I got responses in a reasonable time frame. They answered my questions thoroughly and have sent out a replacement unit for me. I'd say their customer service is quite friendly and good.

Jan 4, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 12
I'd like to say I have had good CS from NuForce. And the first issue I had, with the early Icon Mobile cases that had input problems with fitting certain plugs, was remedied by Jason to my satisfaction. In fact, Jason was prompt and very helpful.

My second issue came with the NE-7Ms. The clicker to advance and pause tracks on my Touch 2G flat out doesn't work. It's been pretty much flaky since the beginning and tough to use (very tiny), but now I can press away and no matter what, nothing happens. A few days ago, I sent an email to NuForce, letting them know I was having a problem. Got a reply, saying it would be 24-48 hours for a response, but so far, not a word. I figured I would go the regular route, rather than PM Jason. See how NuForce would handle it, as if I were just a regular customer, which I am, rather than a Head-Fi'er. I am waiting for a reply. Just not sure what's up with the mic/clicker.

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 12
I got my response from Nuforce today. Basically they said that since it seemed to be an issue with using the 4-pin connector in a 3-pin socket, I could return the NE-7M for a refund or pay a bit more to upgrade to the NE-8. That seems like a satisfactory response.

Fellow Head-Fi'er TrueBlueKew tipped me off that Walmart sells a $10 adapter that converts from 4-pin to 3-pin. I bought it, and it fixed the problem.

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tokkun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...It also goes away if I don't insert the plug in all the way, leaving about 2mm of metal showing....

Apologize for digging up an old thread, but I am experiencing the exact same issue with my Icon Mobile with two of my cables, one of which, unfortunately, is my ALO Cryo dock!

Is this a defect or is this normal?

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back