Experiences with GS-1 as Head/Preamp Please
Aug 8, 2006 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TomH

100+ Head-Fier
Howdy y'all, would like some experienced impressions of the GS-1 as combination head/pre amp in SS and tube systems. Actually more interested in preamp performance as there is plenty available here on its virtues as a headamp. I'm going to be pairing one up with a Rotel 980BX and on rare occasion the powerful and demanding mistress that is the Citation II. And would like to know of any strengths, quirks or issues you may have experienced.

I am hoping that it will trounce my RC970BX as a preamp.

Aug 8, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 8
I have used a Headamp/ Gilmore amp as a pre for several years now .... starting with the original two box Gilmore v1. The current GS-1 I use is transparent, surprisingly dimensional, very resolving and dead quiet. I use a monarchy sm-70 pro as my power amp and the gain switch is invaluable. The monarchy has a very sensitive input stage and the low gain affords much more range on the volume pot. In short there is nothing I can find to criticize .... and a lot to like.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...t/3c6fb755.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...t/64d16277.jpg

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 8
Well, that is very encouraging. Thanks for the info, especially about compatibility with your amp.

I would have gone with a tube preamp but the Citation I has no problems. If only it had a headphone out - wow, I can dream.

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 8
I use the GS-1 as a pre-amp to my Pass Labs Aleph 3, which drives my AKG K1000s as well as my STAX Lambda Pros. I think it works great as a pre-amp. It aint too shabby as a headphone amp either!
wink.gif
The GS-1 is packed with so many features, and sounds so amazing that it is a steal in the $600 to $800 price range for a headphone amp IMHO.

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks, man. I am still dealing with confused feelings from your avatar. What headphones are those? Did I say headphones? I meant... damn... 'click' next thread... *shakes head*

Obviously not real (the photo I mean)

Aug 27, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 8
Hey sacd lover,
Nice looking setup. What's that white box on the floor to the right? And what are those black boxes behind the speakers?

I very happy with my Monarchy SM-70 Pro as well. I’m currently using a Mapletree Octal preamp with mine. Sometimes in tube mode, sometimes in passive mode with the Goldpoint ladder attenuator that’s in there. I’m thinking of getting a GS-1 to use as a preamp and as a headphone amp. I liked the resolving nature of a Gilmore Lite based amp I used to have, but also like to have a full and blooming sound as well. How would you compare the GS-1 to the Gilmore Lite in that regard?

Aug 27, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 8
Hey sacd lover,
I found some other posts where you answered my last question about the GS-1 vs. the Lite. Thanks!

Aug 27, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by seefeel
Hey sacd lover,
I found some other posts where you answered my last question about the GS-1 vs. the Lite. Thanks!

The GS-1 is going to get stiff competition from the Mapletree preamp you are currently using. But you may find the GS-1 to be the perfect middle ground.

First, lets compare passive operation. I had a passive output on my old Gilmore v2-se; also with a stepped attenuator. But I always preffered the preamp in active mode. The sound was warmer and much more dynamic. The bass, in particular had more slam and weight. There was more life to the treble and rhythym guitar was better fleshed out. I hear the same thing with the GS-1 except I think the GS-1 is more dimensional and powerful sounding than the v2-se was. So vs passive mode I prefer the GS-1's active mode

I also used a prototype SP tube rectified headamp amp as a preamp. This was a great preamp for acoustic and instrumental music. But when I wanted to rock the sound was just a little slow and laid back. The treble was also a little to recessed and polite with my speakers. Again, since most of my music is rock or electric blues I eventually started using the v2-se .... and fast forward .... the GS-1.

So .... if you want a more powerful and dynamic sound than the passive mode provides .... and a faster and more energetic sound than you get from your preamps tube mode without sacrificing to much refinement .... the GS-1 would fill the bill nicely from a sonic standpoint. I also suspect you will appreciate the gain switch that makes setting the gain level to your amp much easier. This really helps give you some range on the volume control with the sm-70 pro; which has always been my problem with any active preamps. You have obviously researched my comments of the GS-1's sound quality in my system so I will stop here. Good luck with your decision.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back