Experiences with bulk IEM version
Jul 5, 2017 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

markanini

100+ Head-Fier
You can find various western brand IEMs sold in bulk packaging on internet retail markets by sellers based in China and now several local retailers here in Sweden are stocking the same bulk versions. I now have a hard time finding IEMs that compare favorably to my 10-$20 favorites: Sony MH1, Sony MH750 and LG Quadbeat 3. I didn't think twice about paying up to $250 for in the past but they all have worse sound signatures by comparison. I take every opportunity to audition IEMs owned by aquintences, many of which are audio geeks. The last thing that really piqued my interest was the Samsung S8 IEM. Guess what shows up among the first few google results? Bulk version sold for $20.

I often wondered whether the bulk units are surplus or even produced outside of original Sony/LG quotas. This would explain the frequent QC issue I've experienced, at least when ordering from Chinese sellers.. Almost every other pair had defective output in one channel.

I'm curious to hear your experiences with bulk version and whether it might cause a change in market psychology and product line-ups or perhaps a decline in IEM development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back