Experiences with big spiders
Mar 29, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #106 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, now that belongs over in that other thread
wink.gif
!! http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232845

On topic, jumping spiders are frickin' cute!

don't bother. any anti-gun comments, no matter how mild, are being removed from the thread.

Mar 29, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #108 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First sharks, now spiders. What's next, man-devouring bears?

<------------------------ask and ye shall...

Mar 29, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #109 of 182
In high school I worked in the gift shop of the local zoo. The shop I was in was connected to a Lorikeet aviary which was always staffed by a zookeeper. For some reason the entire Aviary department consisted of females so that was sorta fun
biggrin.gif
. Anyway on an especially busy day a customer unfolded a t-shirt and had a serious panic attack due to a wolf spider jumping out at her. I didn't see it but she of course being I guess a bit of a drama queen decided that it was about 3 feet across. So I call in the zookeeper and ask her to handle this mess because in the meantime I've got customers being all squeamish about the three foot spider. Finally she finds the spider and as I expected it was about an inch across and harmless. She released it outside although with something that size I would have been just as happy to leave it inside.

So later she comes in and decides it's time to give me some crap about being scared of the spider. Admittedly I was a bit excited when I came out but only in response to the woman screaming her head off. She blamed my jumpiness when I stepped out on "being afraid of an itsy bitsy little spider..." blah blah blah. I tell her that I wish she'd left the damned thing inside because I prefer them to flies and mosquitos and stuff that also had a tendancy to reside in my gift shop.

So the real climax of this story is that she took my comment to heart, and left a 7 3/4 inch (I measured) "Goliath Birdeater" tarantula on my counter in the morning. She told me that she'd take it back out when I picked it up and brought it to her. I told her I'd bring a lorikeet in and test out its name if she didn't get that thing off my desk forthwith, further cementing my reputation of being afraid of spiders.

Mar 29, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #110 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no problems with spiders until they get to this size...

camelspider1sw3.jpg

THAT IS NOT A SPIDER. THAT IS A SPACE ALIEN THAT WILL JUMP YOU IN YOUR SLEEP, ATTACH ITSELF TO YOUR FACE, IMPREGNATE YOU WITH SOMETHING TERRIBLE, AND CAUSE A HUMAN-KILLING MONSTER TO EMERGE FROM YOUR CHEST HOURS LATER.

Mar 30, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #112 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't bother. any anti-gun comments, no matter how mild, are being removed from the thread.

oh I was just jokin'... Mostly because at a glance the other thread looked close to getting out of hand :p.

So camel spiders are what exactly? I thought maybe a sort of scorpion, but not venom?... That article said they aren't spiders...

Mar 30, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #113 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So camel spiders are what exactly? I thought maybe a sort of scorpion, but not venom?... That article said they aren't spiders...

I think it is quite clear that they are monsters.

Mar 30, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #114 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were there dangerous species of Scorpions in Mali? There are a few species of scorpions here in Arizona but only one of them is even remotely dangerous. Oddly enough the one that has caused deaths among the young and elderly is a tiny species called the "Bark Scorpion". They're never bigger than 1/2".

Similar situation in Mali -- I'm told there are a few tiny species that can be fatal to children/elderly, but I never saw any of the bad ones (red ones I think).

There was only one main species I ever saw, darned things were exactly the same color as my mud house/concrete floor/sand yard, and they could be very small (I'm told more painful) or much bigger. One I found in my trunk when I was cleaning up to leave was GIGANTIC -- probably a good 7-8 inches if you spread him out claw to tip of tail. I was so terrified I had my local friends come kill him. Even they were scared of him -- and they are used to 'em.

I was only stung once, rolled over on one (slept outside on a straw mat, usually under a net but that night I didn't use the net), squished him but he got me first in the lower back. It was terribly painful but I took benadryl which reduced the swelling, knocked me out, and by the time I woke up in the morning it was pretty much like a really bad, really sore bee sting for a few days.

--Chris

Mar 30, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #115 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hah, those camel spider bites are nothing! Look at this picture of a brown recluse bite:
http://thefuntimesguide.com/images/b...bite_Day10.jpg

**WARNING** only look at it if you have a strong stomach

darn, i got a 403 forbidden. dissapointing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aww this ones got little socks!

I can only bear it if they are hairy/puffy and you cannot see all the joints and parts when you flip em over...

boots1.jpg

not as cute as THIS one:

800px-Victorian_funnelweb_side.jpg

adorable, eh??

also, i think karma got me. as i was reading through the 2-3 pages that i hadn't yet read of this topic, a spider decided to crawl up my pantleg. would have let him go outside but he was too fast, had to smash the poor guy. i can't wait to get a tarantula; i can feed the little puny spiders to him instead of pointlessly killing them.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #116 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it is quite clear that they are monsters.

That clears up everything. Seriously, I lolled.
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #117 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree. i do not understand the knee-jerk "AH A SPIDER KILL KILL TORTURE RAPE!" attitude. most spiders are harmless, and serve a good purpose in the home.

if you are worried about poisonous spiders, take ten minutes to learn what kind of poisonous spiders live in you area, and what they look like, and if they prefer to build webs low or high, the shape of the web, etc. then you will know for sure what you are dealing with, and can leave the harmless ones alone.

I agree with that, even though I hate most spiders and instinctively want to kill them.

I let daddy long legs, huntsmans and other ones be. I mean I hate the things and I woke up with a little spider crawling down my arm and I let it go, I released a ninja spider recently. Don't know their proper names but it was insanely fast and jumped all over the place. Can't recall how I caught it in the first place.

So yeah, the only spiders I've killed deliberately are red backs.

I do recall once though when I was little we had this pretty crazy spider in the house, it was one of those ones that go into that stand up position where they raise their front legs and get their fangs out. That one met a swift end as it seemed pretty aggressive.

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #119 of 182
No more promises
I have made them before and broken them
Give me the go ahead
And I'll undress myself for you if you're at all interested

Now I'm growing legs
I am the spider
I am the spider
I'm growing legs
I am the spider
I am the spider
Crawl inside her

Oh, I know your pain (Oh, I feel you baby)
You like I are plagued by the flies inside your brain
I'm creeping up your veins
Are you smart enough and small enough to play this game?

I'm growing legs
I am the spider
I am the spider
I'm growing legs
I am the spider
I am the spider
Crawl inside her

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #120 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hah, those camel spider bites are nothing! Look at this picture of a brown recluse bite:
http://thefuntimesguide.com/images/b...bite_Day10.jpg

**WARNING** only look at it if you have a strong stomach

i cant see a picture, forbidden link, darn it hell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back