Experienced audiophile that is new to headphone systems and needs some advice...
Jan 20, 2005 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dra1

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am new to the headphone world but I have been an audiophile for over 20 years. I would like to put together a musical but simple system that shows the female voice and old rock records well and I have a few basic questions. I would like to put together a very good starter system for when the kids are in bed and I can still listen to music. For reference and connectivity, my current system is a Sota/SME V/Benz Ruby, ARC CD3 Mark II, Rowland Coherence I original, Rowland 8ti and Mirage M1 speakers. My musical biases are towards natural sounding music and I hate the upper midrange harshness. I have read the forums for the past few hours to get started and here are my questions.

1)The headphone system, I was thinking about was a Berning Microzotl or Antique soundlabs or singlepower supra (or lesser model), with Sennheiser 650 headphones and Cardas cable. If I find that I learn to love the headphones system, I can always upgrade the system and improve the tubes later.

2)Is there a way that I can integrate the headphone into my current system without degrading it’s sound so I do not have to switch CD or phono input cables when I change from standard stereo to headphone stereo. Maybe a tape loop or….

3)Is there a good store that carries the above in the Philly or worst case Nyc area optimally with the ability to listen to the above equipment.

I apologize for the simple questions, but appreciate you help in advance.

Al

Jan 20, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 11
Welcome to the hobby. I started out the same way: I was a stereo-only guy that just wanted headphones for on the side. A year or so later, and I find myself listening to my headphones mostly.

1) sounds like a good system. I personally am a big fan of the Sennheiser sound. They will definitely benefit from your excellent source equipment too.

2) there is no problem connecting the amplifier to the tape loop. Does the Coherence have balanced *and* single ended outs? If so, you could run balanced to the 8s and single-ended to the headamp. But either of these methods involves shutting down one amplifier which wouldn't be a problem with the tube amp, but the 8s probably like to be on all the time. Another possibility is a switchbox on the preamp's outs.

3) There are quite a few good stereo stores in that area. Some might carry headphones but it's rare to see headamps in B&M stores.

Good luck, and let us know what you do.

Jan 20, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi Al, welcome to Head-Fi!

From the goals you state, the Sennheiser HD-650 with a tube amp is probably the best place to start. This can make for a very natural sounding and involving combo.

Of the amps you state, I have personal experience with the Singlepower line and I highly recommend all of them. I recommend sticking with the 6SN7 (or possibly 12SN7) variants rather than going for the 6CG7 since the 6SN7 tube tends to portray a better sense of space.

Headphone shops are few and far between and the Philly area is no exception. I'm sure you are aware of some of the traditional shops in the area. Community Audio (http://www.commaudio.com/) on Germantown Ave is a Grado and Stax dealer. Overture Audio in Wilmington may have some goods but I have never been there. 8thstreet music (located at 1023 Arch) (http://www.8thstreet.com/) is a pro audio shop listed as a Sennheiser dealer but I don't know what they have at their store.

I live in Old City Philly so if you are in the area you are welcome to drop by and test out my Sennheiser HD-650 and Earmax Pro combo (nice small tube amp) to give you an idea of what the Sennheiser is capable of. Also, there will be an area Head-Fi meet on February 5th in Cherry Hill (check the meet forum) which you should come to. There will be a wide variety of gear there.

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 11
I was in the same boat. I was forced to get a headphone because we had a new arrival at our househod, our firstborn. You can read about it here and the final review in this thread.

I ended up turning my second system into a headphone dedicated system.

In your case, tape out will be the best solution to preserve the sound. Skip the AST amps. I've heard the SinglePower MPX3, it sounded slightly dry with the HD650. The Supra might sound different. You might want to visit a few local head-fier get-togethers to hear for yourself before deciding. Also check the Mobius Zu cable for the HD650. I personally enjoy the Cardas with the HD600. Will be borrowing a HD650 this weekend from a friend, will check out how good HD650/Zu combo is.

Jan 22, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 11
HI Al- I was in same boat, as well. Senn HD-650s w/Silver dragon cable is a good combo, IMO. I have a microzotl in one system and an Audivalve RKV MK2 in another. The micro is very nice with some good NOS tubes in it, but I think that the RKV would be better for rock. I think that the RKV has a loop out, so you could place it between your pre and your source, but then you could only listen to CD. Some pre-amps have the facility to shut down the tape out; in others it is live always; that may be a partial solution. Or you might want to consider a modest HP system; CDP-HP amp- HD-650s. There are plenty of pretty darn good older CDPs out there which are neutral sound wise and would make an inexpensive source.

Jan 22, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the all of the responses and time.

Looks like I should do some testing with a headphone amp/phones in my system to see how I set it up and get started

If my schedule permits, I will try to get to Cherry Hill on the 5th. Time is at a premium these days.

Thanks again.

Snowbound in Philly,
Al

Jan 23, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 11
Well, I'd say you're going in the right direction...sounds like you've got the source handled. IMHO (and I know that others who are posting here already will agree), the source is the key.

I'm also a fan of tubes for headphone amping, though I like a good SS amp as well...depends on my mood. You might consider AKG cans if you're a fan of fluid, natural midrange. However, the Senns have a large fan base for a very good reason.

It's funny, but I've always been a fan of good headphones. I bought AKG K240's when everyone thought the Koss Pro4AA was the cat's ass (yes, that was a LONG time ago!!), and listened to them for years on the headphone-out of an NAD amp or preamp. I still own them, and listen to them a lot with my computer rig. They're like an old pair of jeans...comfortable and familiar.
biggrin.gif

Good luck, and enjoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dra1
Hi,

I am new to the headphone world but I have been an audiophile for over 20 years. I would like to put together a musical but simple system that shows the female voice and old rock records well and I have a few basic questions. I would like to put together a very good starter system for when the kids are in bed and I can still listen to music. For reference and connectivity, my current system is a Sota/SME V/Benz Ruby, ARC CD3 Mark II, Rowland Coherence I original, Rowland 8ti and Mirage M1 speakers. My musical biases are towards natural sounding music and I hate the upper midrange harshness. I have read the forums for the past few hours to get started and here are my questions.

2)Is there a way that I can integrate the headphone into my current system without degrading it’s sound so I do not have to switch CD or phono input cables when I change from standard stereo to headphone stereo. Maybe a tape loop or….. Al

My preamp is an Odyssey Tempest w/2d set of outputs. Thus, one could select whatever source (be it analog, cdp/DAC, etc.), then feed the signal to the headphone amp. I don't know if your preamp can be modded to give you a second set of outputs; you may want to ask around in AudioCircles - Carlman comes to mind.

Of course, the tape loop comes to mind, but I still throw in the odd tape now and again.

Jan 23, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 11
I've tried my Singlepower SDS --Senn. HD650/Zu cable system with the AR CD3 MKII. It was very, very good, you wont be dissapointed. If I was you I would get the amp with the 12sn7 option and take advantage of the better sound and cheaper tubes.(than the 6sn7) You will still be able to use the 6sn7 tubes also.

Jan 23, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dra1
I would like to put together a musical but simple system that shows the female voice and old rock records well

Very old rock recordings ( sixties and early seventies) don't sound good without the crossfeed feature, many of them are totally unlistenable without.
We "computer-as-source" guys are better off here, there is excellent free software available.There are amps with built-in hardware crossfeed for those who prefer traditional gear , but the only tube amp with crossfeed I'm aware of is the new Corda Eartube from head-fi sponsor Meier-Audio.

Jan 23, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Very old rock recordings ( sixties and early seventies) don't sound good without the crossfeed feature, many of them are totally unlistenable without.
We "computer-as-source" guys are better off here, there is excellent free software available.There are amps with built-in hardware crossfeed for those who prefer traditional gear , but the only tube amp with crossfeed I'm aware of is the new Corda Eartube from head-fi sponsor Meier-Audio.

Singlepower will add crossfeed to any of there amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back