Experience with the Ath-FC7?
Dec 18, 2004 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Cloudbreak0

100+ Head-Fier
I was just wondering if anyone here has anything to say about the FC7's because i was thinking about getting a pair but i have a few questions.

1. How good is their isolation? And by that i mean how well the dont allow others to hear the music that i play (always a problem with people in the same car not wanting me to crank them up...stupids).

2. How good do they sound overall? I hear that they have good bass ( love my bass
basshead.gif
) but what about mids and highs? (bass comments welcome aswell)

3. How would they compare to the MD33's as those are also on my list. How well do they stay in your ears, and how do they sound vs. the FC7's? And since the MD33's are cheaper and im a student they are a bit more appealing. I will, however, pay more for higher quality.

I usually listen to rock and rap music and i love bass, i also like clarity and strong mids. Highs i appreciate as not being too bright; not piercingly intense as this hurts my ears over long periods of time. My source is a Zen Micro aswell as my home computer (no amps)
frown.gif
)

Dec 19, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 6
I would also like to know this. I have a zen Xtra and have been looking at both of these. I have searched all over but I can't seem to find anyone talking about the sound signature of the FC-7. Specifically, how do they compare to the PX100 the MD33 and the HD25-SP?

Dec 19, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 6
I have the FC7, but haven't really compared them to that many headphones yet, but I got my dad the PX100 for Christmas and my brother a pair og Philips "something"900
We have a pair og sennheiser HD433 too, and on monday I will get the AKG K240S.

So after Christmas I can do a little comparison, but I think I'm too much of a sound "noob" to really make good comments on the overall sound signature

Dec 19, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 6
I had FC5 which is identical in skin. Many head-fiers expressed that FC7 were satisfactory. I never heard FC7 therefore I can make any comments about its sound compared to FC5. To sum up short, FC5 were disappointing in terms of sonic attributes. They sounded bit thin and muffled. At the time, I also had F33 in my possession. Another disappointment for me! I regreted not spending that extra $10 to get FC7. But I'll never know.

Now in terms of comfort and build quality, ATHs are very well made fons in general. Solid and durable plastics used everywhere. The headband extensions is metal and arms are in nicely finished plastic. They're circumaural fons which sit tightly on your years. These ATHs come in 2 pairs of ear cushions. For me, first pair was in pleather and second one in funky fur. They have a funky self-retracting headband which never puts pressure on your head. Well my head is very average in size. These adjust automatically to your head almost. Since the curling headband it's quite useful for portability as well. After rotating the cups inward, FC series are quite compact.

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 6
1. they leak out a tiny amount, but not enuogh to void it for being close. if you listen to music loud in the library people 7ft away might hear it. if on a bus then they probably wont hear it. i suggest listen to lower to preserve your hearing.

2. they sound warm, punchy bass, with clear treble that doesnt extend too far. mids a bit colored but comparing to others phone around the same price, is the same quality. great for rock.

3. the md33s has a very similar sound. if you have a big head they'll stay well. they dont fall off as easily as japanese canalphones.

they dont isolate as well as canalphones, but nothing does really. they only muff out some noises.
they might be uncomfortable if you dont stuff the earpads or stretch the hedband.
the md33s bass is heavier. it doesnt seem that way if you dont clean your earwaxes (and bad fit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back