Experience With Ety Replacement Cables?
Apr 3, 2002 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Suedama

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my Ety ER4P (with the adaptor cable from Xin Feng making it a 4S) for about a week now. The Ety sound is everything that people are saying about it. HOWEVER, in my humble opinion the Etys are extremely difficult to listen to unless you are perfectly still. The transmitted noise (microphonics?) from the cable is so bad that I cannot get any enjoyment out of these headphones in an environment where I am moving in the slightest. Even sitting at a computer reading or typing causes the cord to rub against my shirt or the desk transmitting noise into my ear like fingernails across a blackboard.

In my humble opinion this is a serious design flaw and I cannot understand why anyone would design headphones with cables like this. (If anyone knows why, please enlighten me.)

Now to my question: does anyone have any experience with Xin Feng's replacement cable? Does it eliminate the transmitted noise? If so, I think I will be replacing my cable ASAP.

Apr 3, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 8
Have you tried using the shirt clip? I find that this helped tremendously with noise. I would have kept this setup the way it was if my cable didn't get torn. Now I'm ordering the fixup cable and it's on its way and I'm going to see just how good it is.

Apr 3, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 8
I have the Fix up 4P replacement cable and it eliminates the microphonics. I am able to walk the dog.

Lextek
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 8
I have the Fixup 4S replacement cable and it is excellent. No microphonics...great sound! If you want to be able to switch impedence, then get the 4P replacement cable (for dramatically improved 4P sound) and use your 4P-> 4S adapter to get the 4S sound.

Apr 3, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by msjjr
I have the Fixup 4S replacement cable and it is excellent. No microphonics...great sound! If you want to be able to switch impedence, then get the 4P replacement cable (for dramatically improved 4P sound) and use your 4P-> 4S adapter to get the 4S sound.

Way ahead of you msjjr. I've had the 4p to 4s adapter for a while now and have been using it. It's been a great addition to my Etys. I requested that the replacement cord from Fixup be made with the same resistance as the ER-4P. I wonder though, if it's exactly the same resistance as the 4p, how come it seems that some people say it improves the sound over the stock cable? I wonder why that could be true......hM

The only reason I have the 4s avatar is because of the adapter. In my profile it should say that I only have the 4p. I guess it's my way of saying that I have both of them.
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 8
wow really? Is it an adapter or a replacement non microphonic cord like fixup's?

Apr 3, 2002 at 12:04 PM Post #8 of 8
I tried the shirt clip, but I believe that this makes the problem worse because it brings the cord closer to you. Any contact between the cord and your clothing causes sound to be transmitted when the cord moves. (And I'm not talking about subtle noises here.) The only way I can listen to the Etys is by holding the cord in my hand and keeping the cord in front of me out of contact with anything. AND I must be careful not to move my fingers while holding the cord.

I'm looking forward to hearing some details about the official Ety replacement cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back