Experience with Edirol UA-1EX?
Jul 27, 2006 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

izquierdaste

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am new pretty new to the world of high end audio (well not relly high end compared to most of your setups). I would prefer to use my laptop as my main source for convenience and because I mostly listen to headphones in my office and I like to listen to internet radio on occasion. I am a budget-fi grad student with a little dot 2 tube amp (w/ GE 1u5's) and grado sr80/koss a130 as my main headphones.

I am really intrigued by the Edirol UA-1EX as a usb all-in-one solution. My current amp/headphone combination is unlistenable out of my laptop because of whirring computer noises. Hence, I have been running it through a cheapo panasonic discman. Does anyone have experience using the rca outs from edirol as their sound source? If so how does it sound? Is it clean with no ground noise? Is it more analytical than most sources?

My other likely choice would be the Silverstone EB01. While rca-out sound quality is my main consideration, the Edirol is cheaper ($70 v. $95), has digital out, has RCA in with A/D converter, and has ASIO support. Hence, if the Edirol has pretty good sound quality, I would definitely lean in that direction rather than the Silverstone. However, if sound quality is poor, I would rather sacrafice other features for the silverstone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the link. I had seen that one and it seems like he was quite happy. I was just looking to see if anyone else has had a chance to try this device out and possibly compare it to another source they owned. I believe that I have searched all the links on here, but it seems there are only 4-5 people that have tried it and your link is the only one with any real details.

Thanks again

Sep 18, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 10
That Edirol looks exactly what I have been looking for too. So a bump cant hurt can it?

Sep 18, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 10
I have an edirol ua-1x. I don't know how it compares to the one you are interested in, but it is sitting in my drawer right now. Not too bad, has a high noise floor. I haven't used it in years. Wanna buy it?

Sep 18, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 10
That's the old model without 24 bit right? High noise floor? You mean it hisses a lot?

Sep 18, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 10
$30 and it is yours (shiped to your door assuming you live in the USA).
I don't need it anymore, but, it is better than most built in soundcards. I haven't listed it for sale anywhere but suppose I should since I don't use it and perhaps somebody would like it.

Sep 25, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 10
If I read it right above then dknightd is saying that the UA-1X hisses a lot (from the RCA/headphone outputs?). Can anyone let me know if the UA-1EX is better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back