Experience using J&R extended warranty?
Jan 19, 2006 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tmann

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone used an extended warranty from J&R? Opinions? Stories?

I am seriously thinking of getting a Karma from them, so it is important to know whether they will honor the warranty since I know there's a very good chance I'll need to use it.

I called them today and they referred me to the (third party) warranty company. The warranty guy was nice but I could not get a straight answer on exactly what would happen if the thing crapped out. It seems you have to send it in for repair and if they can't fix it they will replace w/ a "comparable model" - but this is a huge grey area (comparable to what I paid, or comparable to the Karma??). Also, he said "if the buttons fall off, it's not covered" (so much for the scroll wheel); "if you drop it - not covered" (who hasn't dropped it at least once?), etc.

So any insight into how cooperative they are when you actually try to use the warranty would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 21, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 3
i'm still on the fence about this. i don't think there is going to be a "comparable product" that costs no more than $170 within the next couple of years (ie - anything that is not gapless is not comparable to me). since the warranty specified that the replacement will have the 'same features' i would try to get them to give a refund but i wouldn't have much confidence that they would do it. looks like it's still a bit of a risk even with the warranty. ya feel lucky, punk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back