Expensive IEMs- not to be used in the gym? (Klipsch X11/X10)
Mar 5, 2015 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

itsZENmusic

New Head-Fier
Quick question

Right now I am considering making my first IEM purchase above 150$.  I would use these often, but one place I will want to use them is at the gym.  Is it not recommended to be using these IEMs at the gym where I will sweat, do heavy lifting, etc ?  The ones I am considering primarily are the Klipsch x11/x10s which are MRSP ~300$ when they were released but now are around 150$ now.  If it is indeed impractical or not sensible to use them at the gym I'll buy something cheaper (x7?) and spend my money towards new over-ear headphones.  Just wondering your thoughts.

Thanks.   

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 11
There's nothing wrong with gym use with expensive iem's. I'm not sure you want to with that form factor or it could be just me. I'd rather have an over the ear. Keep in mind that iem's were made for stage use and it could be similar to a gym or more in terms of activity.

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 11
I bought the X10i (now discontinued and not available with warranty) and really loved them.  However, I had to return them under warranty due to the rubber splitting where the wires ender the ear buds.  They were replaced by Klipcsh with the newer X11i.  They have the same drivers but are a little more sturdy that the X10i were, but I had to return them as well when the rubber boot split where the wire goes into the audio connector.  If you do get the X11i's just be careful to pull the buds from your ears by grabbing the body of the bud and NOT pulling on the wires.  Likewise, when you unplug them from a player, pull from the base of the connector.  (Even though I followed these precautions, the initial set of X11i still split at the connector.  These sound great, but you really have to treat them with kid gloves.  Not sure they'd be appropriate for use in a gym. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 11
Why buy expensive IEMs for use in a gym where the sound quality and detail will be lost amid grunts and heavy breathing? Buy a cheap set for the gym and keep the expensive ones for at-home listening. You also won't be kicking yourself when the weights get tangled up in the cable and yank the IEMs out - possibly ruining them.

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 11
The sweat factor is key along with the IEM's durability. Other than that, I love my Westones for the gym. Blocks out the grunts you mentioned. In terms of sound quality, there's an argument to hold off on high end funds simply because you're not deep listening much. Nuance and subtlely cost a lot of money the further up you go. Still, I find music becomes part of what's happening, and sound signature to fit that experience is as important as sound quality overall. My PRO 30's focus on the mid and bass without being basshead cans. Works well for me, but I'm also not sweating tons.

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 11
I own a pair of Klipsch R6 and X7is. They are well worth the price, but there is a serious microphonics issue. Even just sitting at my desk all day, I use the shirt clip to hold the cable still. Otherwise, any time I turn my head, the cable makes a lot of noise as it brushes my clothes. Gym use would be terrible. I can't even imagine.

Using an expensive pair at the gym might be fine for you, but you don't want one with lots of microphonics. This will drive you mad.

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 11
Do not pull the trigger on the Klipsch x10i, like other treads state they just break down re terrible cables and other issues. They are great sounding headphones but for the price i can not recommend them especially for gym work. feel free to pm me for some photo's to reiterate my issues.

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 11
I own a pair of Klipsch R6 and X7is. They are well worth the price, but there is a serious microphonics issue. Even just sitting at my desk all day, I use the shirt clip to hold the cable still. Otherwise, any time I turn my head, the cable makes a lot of noise as it brushes my clothes. Gym use would be terrible. I can't even imagine.

Using an expensive pair at the gym might be fine for you, but you don't want one with lots of microphonics. This will drive you mad.

Aw damn.. well here's a question.  The way I use headphones at the gym is that I let the wire go under my shirt and through the neck hole so it doesn't hang in front of me.  Would the microphonics still be bad?  Really thinking about pulling the trigger on the X7is.  

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #9 of 11
  Do not pull the trigger on the Klipsch x10i, like other treads state they just break down re terrible cables and other issues. They are great sounding headphones but for the price i can not recommend them especially for gym work. feel free to pm me for some photo's to reiterate my issues.

The X10 and X11 are 100 and 130$ respectively (no mic)... would you say that's still a bad price?  Do the X11 still have the cable issues?  

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #10 of 11
That is a fair price. My x11's have seized to work due the cable issues. I used them for home use only. Pity as i loved the sq. Picked up a pair of x7's and have no issues. Cable is far superior. Maybe have a look at them.

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #11 of 11
Aw damn.. well here's a question.  The way I use headphones at the gym is that I let the wire go under my shirt and through the neck hole so it doesn't hang in front of me.  Would the microphonics still be bad?  Really thinking about pulling the trigger on the X7is.  

Maybe. But I wouldn't bet money on it. I am certain of this, you will need the clip, even with the cable running under your shirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back