Expensive IEM vs Fullsize? HD800S vs. Audeze LCD-i4
Jan 20, 2021 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Pachriksu

New Head-Fier
Hello!

If someone that has somehow tried out both of these could share their opinions, that would be great. For $1000 more, does the LCD-i4 have the same (or better) qualities and especially soundstage of the HD800S? I've heard many positive claims about the imaging and soundstage of the i4 but I am wondering how it fares to very wide full sizes like the 800S. The main reason I want IEMs is for their weight and no head impressions after long wear.

Thanks!

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #2 of 4
Hello. I own both HD800S and LCDi4. For reference: I have owned ZMF Verite, ZMF Eikon, Focal Clear, Focal Stellia (still have these, amazing), Audeze LCD-XC and many others. I have heard Focal Utopia, SR900 and many other greats.
HD800S is, like everyone says the best in soundstage. To me it is also the best in imaging. I also feel with EQ it is still the best sounding headphone ever made. If the HD800S is a ‘10’ in soundstage then the LCDi4 is the second best soundstage and a ‘9’ out of 10. To me the LCDi4 is the second best soundstage available in any headphones. HD800S is wider and taller, but with Reveal, LCDi4 can be deeper and more holographic. These two headphones are the only ones that have ‘startled’ me with their realism. Making me actually look around the room for the sounds I am hearing. Pretty awesome experience. These both have the equal capability to ‘disappear’ on your head and make you forget you are wearing anything.
For further comparison I rate the HD800S & LCDi4 below for a few categories. All ratings include EQ and a decent amplifier. As both of these headphones are amazing with EQ (Reveal for LCDi4) and both need a good amount of power to sound their best.

HD800S- Bass 8, mids 10, highs 10, detail 9.5, soundstage 10, imaging 10, comfort 10

LCDi4- Bass 10, mids 9.5, highs 9.5, detail 10, soundstage 9, imaging 9, comfort 9.5

I hope this helps.

Mar 1, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 4
Hello. I own both HD800S and LCDi4. For reference: I have owned ZMF Verite, ZMF Eikon, Focal Clear, Focal Stellia (still have these, amazing), Audeze LCD-XC and many others. I have heard Focal Utopia, SR900 and many other greats.
HD800S is, like everyone says the best in soundstage. To me it is also the best in imaging. I also feel with EQ it is still the best sounding headphone ever made. If the HD800S is a ‘10’ in soundstage then the LCDi4 is the second best soundstage and a ‘9’ out of 10. To me the LCDi4 is the second best soundstage available in any headphones. HD800S is wider and taller, but with Reveal, LCDi4 can be deeper and more holographic. These two headphones are the only ones that have ‘startled’ me with their realism. Making me actually look around the room for the sounds I am hearing. Pretty awesome experience. These both have the equal capability to ‘disappear’ on your head and make you forget you are wearing anything.
For further comparison I rate the HD800S & LCDi4 below for a few categories. All ratings include EQ and a decent amplifier. As both of these headphones are amazing with EQ (Reveal for LCDi4) and both need a good amount of power to sound their best.

HD800S- Bass 8, mids 10, highs 10, detail 9.5, soundstage 10, imaging 10, comfort 10

LCDi4- Bass 10, mids 9.5, highs 9.5, detail 10, soundstage 9, imaging 9, comfort 9.5

I hope this helps.
That is an awesome answer! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Very informative and clear.
Out of curiosity - which DAC and Amp are you using to drive your headphones, specifically when evaluating soundstage and imaging?

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 4
That is an awesome answer! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Very informative and clear.
Out of curiosity - which DAC and Amp are you using to drive your headphones, specifically when evaluating soundstage and imaging?
I am glad you found my response helpful. I have compared them side by side on the RME ADI-2 Pro and the also the Monoprice THX 788. LCDi4 definitely likes the RME a little better and I feel like the HD800S pairs a touch better with the warmer THX 788, but no dramatic difference really. Very Subtle. I tend to listen to the LCDi4 with the Cipher lightning cable or my Fiio Q5s THX AM3D. I listen to my HD800S walking around the house on my ifi Xcan using the Q5s as the DAC. Balanced cables wherever possible. The channel separation and extra space provided in balanced mode is a no brainer to me. I don't do a lot of sitting and listening, so portable/transportable solutions are what I prefer. That is part of the reason I am so enamored with the LCDi4, it delivers so much sound with so little gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back