Expanding on my current system want to know what direction to go
Aug 7, 2011 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Surpher

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys, 
Need some advice on where to head with my current rig. I was only into portable buds orginally, currently have Triple Fis which I still use the most.
I'm trying to step it up to real cans now. My primary source is computer audio, and I work at the computer a ton. I have a computer I built myself, with a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3 motherboard in it. No dedicated sound card.

I bought myself Shure SRH840s and I like them. They are a huge step up for me from the ear buds. I like the sound stage. My problem is that they are crazy heavy and they make my ears sweat after only like a hour. Is this because of the closed nature?

Budget $400 short term
another $400 by the end of the year

Music: Wide range (classical 20%, rock 40%, hip-hop/jazz 40%)

I am first thinking I need to step up my computer out. 
Sound card or DAC?
I'm thinking external DAC that I could use as an amp and then eventually pre-amp when I upgrade. At the moment I am looking at this plan:

Now:
Buy a DAC like I describe above, perhaps Little Dot DAC II. Any suggestions similar to this? iBasso maybe?
Upgrade headphones to something like : Sennheiser HD595 or 598s

Later this Year:
Amp Little Dot MKIII

Long Term:
Even better cans, maybe HD 650s?

I'm taking advice on all of the points, would love some direction!

Thanks,
Mike

Aug 7, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 8
I am currently using the LD mk3 with hd598s, wonderful sound quality and if you like that soundstage, these are the cans for you! Best soundstage I have ever heard.  Sounds like with your budget though the 650s might be in reach.  You can get 598s for $180 though which is a lot cheaper than 650s.

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 8
Honestly, some of the cheaper DAC/Amp combos are brilliant for the money. The Audi-GD stuff is cheap and it's top notch. I've been using an Audio-GD FUN + Earth OPA with a bunch of different headphones over the past year (HD598 included) and you can't go wrong with it. Less than $400 posted for a quality amp/dac.

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the help. One more question, how do you go from a DAC to an Amp. Like if the DAC has a mini output and the amp has dual RCA inputs? IS there a specific type of cabling that is used so as not to lose quality?

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 8
Generally L+R RCA from DAC > Amp. There's people who use normal cheap RCA, and some which use boutique cables. Read the cables forum and ask there if you need help on the differences. Long story short, there is a difference in quality between cables, but whether the difference is worth it is up to the individual.

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 8
I don't understand, some DACs seem to output to a standard headphone sized jack, not RCA. For example, http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=63

Unless I am misunderstanding the picture?

If I want to plan ahead, should I make sure the DAC has a RCA out to eventually go to the amp? Or would it not make that big of a difference between the above and something like the Audio-GN or Little Dot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back