Expanding my interest in music
Jan 30, 2009 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jedispork

New Head-Fier
hello everyone. I've noticed the past few years my taste in music has been expanding. When I was a teenager I was really into Metallica and similar bands. I've been on a quest to improve my music library and find bands that are not obsessed with destruction and mayhem. I get a much better vibe from other forms of music.

Some bands that I like are

Evanescence
Dream Theater
The Beatles
Tom Petty
Shakira
Jewel
Collective Soul
Linkin Park

I just discovered that I really enjoy jazz, even the old stuff. I have the ken burns jazz collection on the way and some stuff from Miles Davis and Louis Armstrong. I'm also finding classical quite pleasing to listen to. I plan to sign up for Rhapsody so I can do some more exploring. I am very open minded.

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #3 of 7
First thing you want to do is signup here. After that don't try to take too much hay up your fork (Dutch saying
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 7
try the following bands, and make sure to keep an open mind:

* Porcupine Tree (brilliant UK prog rock - Floyd's spiritual successor)
* Killing Joke (one of the originals - UK post-punk and throbbing rock/metal)
* Matt Elliott (elegiac subterranean piano dirges)
* Tortoise (beautiful jazzy post-rock from USA)
* Circle (Finnish kraut-space-psych-rock; impossible to classify)
* Bohren und der Club of Gore (doom jazz)
* Elope (from Sweden, pure Beatles ripoff)
* Dungen (also from Sweden, slightly less Beatles-y)
* Grails (amazing jazzy, smoky post-rock from Oregon)

finally, perhaps try exploring some modern classical/avant-garde/modern guitar-type music:

* Steve Reich (truly beautiful experiments in repetition)
* Philip Glass (same as above)
* Terry Riley (and again)
* John Fahey (America's most challenging, visionary, and creative modern blues/folk guitarist)
* Jonathan Blackshaw (one of many who took Fahey's style and ran with it)

All of the above are probably more experimental than you're used to, so they might not hit your sweet spot just at first. But give them a chance, and I think you'll find something to like (and possibly quite a bit to learn from) in all of them.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You like Evanescence and Dream Theater, how about Nightwish or Within temptation?

x2 on Nightwish and Within Temptation

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 7
I just ordered Once and Dark Passion Play. So far I'm very impressed. I may end up liking them more than Evanescence.

I'm going to check out every artist that you guys took the time to suggest to me.

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back