Eximus DP-1
Jun 9, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #2 of 13
I sold my Violectric V200 because I liked the bigger soundstage of the Eximus. Nice match for my HD800`s. Even better with the IFI iUSB power supply (and Gemini cable). 

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 13
I use my Eximus with an older Audio Research CD3 as a transport and bought a toxic-cable from the UK to replace the stock Sennheiser cable.Bit of a waiting list for that but should be here later this month.Evidently makes a big improvement to the HD 800`s

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 13
I also have great results with my HD800/DP-1. I sold my Auditor because I felt it didn't really do anything greater than the built in HO of the DP-1 other than portray a larger soundstage-but at times seemed unnatural with certain sounds sounding wonky and out of place. I felt the clarity and detail was roughly the same, with a tiny edge going to the SPL. That said-I still pair my modded m-Stage with the Eximus to add a little more warmth, bass, and body, at the small expense of some detail and clarity imo. Nothing compared to my DP-1 ZDSE combo though...not even close.

-Daniel

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 13
Could you compare it to, say, Burson Conductor? or HDVD800? I listen to trance and classic via HD800. I like the sound of the Conductor, but that DP-1 review from 6moons always make me think I should hear it, but in Barcelona there's none!! 
mad.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 13
Sorry, I haven't heard either of those amps. I'd venture they both add a bit more 'body' based on my reading, but with the ZDSE/Eximus  the HD800 lacked pretty much...nothing.

-Daniel

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 13
  Could you compare it to, say, Burson Conductor? or HDVD800? I listen to trance and classic via HD800. I like the sound of the Conductor, but that DP-1 review from 6moons always make me think I should hear it, but in Barcelona there's none!! 
mad.gif

Burson C. is a bit "brutal".

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 13
I need my first headphone amp for US 500$. I have found some of amps, and a pre-owned Eximus DP-1 in an auction.
If I use as a headphone amp, is Eximus DP-1 better than other 500$ amps?

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 13
I need my first headphone amp for US 500$. I have found some of amps, and a pre-owned Eximus DP-1 in an auction.
If I use as a headphone amp, is Eximus DP-1 better than other 500$ amps?
There’s a few good dedicated headphone amps out there for that price ... depends on the rest of your system and how it’ll be hooked up ...?

Dec 10, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #10 of 13
There’s a few good dedicated headphone amps out there for that price ... depends on the rest of your system and how it’ll be hooked up ...?

I bought a SMSL SU-8 and hook this up to my PC.I need a headphone amp to use it.
I was given Denon AH-D9200 by my friend recently and I am trying to make a reasonable system now.
When I look for amp under 500$, an auction sells DP-1 near 500$.
DP-1 was priced at over 2000$, so I thought DP-1 may have better amp than new and dedicated but under 500$ amps.

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #11 of 13
I bought a SMSL SU-8 and hook this up to my PC.I need a headphone amp to use it.
I was given Denon AH-D9200 by my friend recently and I am trying to make a reasonable system now.
When I look for amp under 500$, an auction sells DP-1 near 500$.
DP-1 was priced at over 2000$, so I thought DP-1 may have better amp than new and dedicated but under 500$ amps.
I’ve had mine for around 5 years and used as a dac and headphone amp plus as a preamp for a mobile system with powered speakers when needed,
only recently upgraded the digital front end to Chord Qutest/MScaler and still use the DP1 as a headphone amp, powers both Sennheiser and a newly acquired Quad ERA-1 very well ... even though your SU-8 is a much newer design I wouldn’t be surprised if you ended up just using the DP1, it has balanced and rca outs, headphone out on the front panel plus normal RCA input on the rear as well as a 3.5mm input for phone/tablet output ..
uses the XMOS USB chip and has spdif, toslink, AES and i2s digital inputs .. only downside is no remote ...from the reviews at time of release the headphone amp side was always praised and stated as being discrete class A rather than using a simple op amp chip ...
but again, a lot of the $$ went into the dac as well as a proper internal power supply so there could be better headphone only options for the money,
your Denons are under 30ohms, similar to the Quad headphones so you’d need to check the specs on any potential amps and how they drive low impedance loads ..
Google the 6moons review as they compared the headphone section with several other amps ...

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #12 of 13
I’ve had mine for around 5 years and used as a dac and headphone amp plus as a preamp for a mobile system with powered speakers when needed,
only recently upgraded the digital front end to Chord Qutest/MScaler and still use the DP1 as a headphone amp, powers both Sennheiser and a newly acquired Quad ERA-1 very well ... even though your SU-8 is a much newer design I wouldn’t be surprised if you ended up just using the DP1, it has balanced and rca outs, headphone out on the front panel plus normal RCA input on the rear as well as a 3.5mm input for phone/tablet output ..
uses the XMOS USB chip and has spdif, toslink, AES and i2s digital inputs .. only downside is no remote ...from the reviews at time of release the headphone amp side was always praised and stated as being discrete class A rather than using a simple op amp chip ...
but again, a lot of the $$ went into the dac as well as a proper internal power supply so there could be better headphone only options for the money,
your Denons are under 30ohms, similar to the Quad headphones so you’d need to check the specs on any potential amps and how they drive low impedance loads ..
Google the 6moons review as they compared the headphone section with several other amps ...

Thank you for your advising! I found the picture of inside of DP-1 on 6moon. How small the headphone amp section is…
This couldn't be a good headphone amp for me, but I get to be interested in DP-1 as a DAC when I read your reply.
So I will buy this and compare DP-1 with SU-8, and I will buy another amp someday.

BTW, do you plan to change your DP-1 to another amp?
If you do, please tell me your new amp.

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 13
Thank you for your advising! I found the picture of inside of DP-1 on 6moon. How small the headphone amp section is…
This couldn't be a good headphone amp for me, but I get to be interested in DP-1 as a DAC when I read your reply.
So I will buy this and compare DP-1 with SU-8, and I will buy another amp someday.

BTW, do you plan to change your DP-1 to another amp?
If you do, please tell me your new amp.
Don’t let the size fool you it’s a pretty good headphone amp..
DP1 replacement ?
In progress ...
Icon Audio HP8 signature a week or two away... 😃
DP1 isn’t going anywhere though, I’ve a little Yamaha wireless streamer so with it and the DP1 and JRiver on a dedicated server PC
i can take headphones anywhere in the house with the JRemote app on an iPad ...
Plus it’s a great Dac / preamp for my mobile system ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back