Exfat or Fat32?
Nov 20, 2017 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dill54F

New Head-Fier
So I just got my 200 GB Sandisk

It's already formatted to exfat and I did a search on here and someone said exfat is okay but I just wanna double check cause I also see a bunch of people saying fat32 is the best.

So which is best for my DAP?

EDIT: Also just read this "Only FAT32 as of now can be read on OTG and possibly not to 2TB"

Since my system has OTG and I might be interested in trying it out in the future.... :/

EDIT:
K, I format it using my DAP and it became Fat32, but I hear exfat is generally faster etc, I mean, any issue if I made it exfat instead?

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 7
Well, don't everyone come offering me great replies all at once now. I can't handle all the helpful advice, no!!!!!!!!!!! :scream:

Anyhow, I ended up asking the seller of my DAP which one and he said exfat is fine and since the default size allocation for my 200gb sd is 128, I made it 128.
The transfer is MUCH faster, though I don't know how much faster since I transferred my files through usb cord rather than a sd reader (sd card not working), which slows it down a lot (like 15 mb/s exfat, fat32 was around 8). But it's almost twice the speed.

So from looking it up, it seems like fat32 is most universal and it's good for upgrading firmware etc, but slow. However, more and more are supporting exfat. There's some mention of some people even using NTFS, but gotta look up that one more. But for the time being it's definitely fat32 and exfat for file support.

Best answer I can find for myself, for the use of anyone else that also wonders.

Nov 21, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 7
I’m not for sure what file system I’m using as I just put the card in and started transferring files. It is slow to transfer files but no problem on the dap for me. I’m using a card that started out on a Fiio X-1 from a PC and then to a QP1R that I load from my MacBook Pro now so don’t know.

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 7
I’m not for sure what file system I’m using as I just put the card in and started transferring files. It is slow to transfer files but no problem on the dap for me. I’m using a card that started out on a Fiio X-1 from a PC and then to a QP1R that I load from my MacBook Pro now so don’t know.

Yeah, I was going to do the same, use the card as is (exfat, unknown allocation) but then got curious. It was somewhat confusing and I wanted to find answers specifically for use in a DAP for music files. A lot of the answers consisted on files in general or for the pc. I couldn't find much help on allocation size so went default.

Wanted to ask before I load it with so much data and it would be too much of a pain to format.

Nice DAP upgrade though, from x1 to eventually that.

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 7
I think fat32 table sizes are limited to 32gb. As i understand it exfat is basically the same but with the 32 gb limitation removed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back