Executive or mini systems VS portable cd players
Nov 21, 2002 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

faive

New Head-Fier
Should you have to choose between, say, a Panasonic mini system or executive (mini) system or even a boom-box and a Panasonic portable cd player, FOR HEADPHONE listening, wich would you choose?

Does portable cd players nowadays automatically are worst to listen than other systems just because of the sound compression portables have?

I would like to hear your comments about it.

Thank you.

Nov 21, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 4
The pcdp's have bad sound mostly because they give very little juice to the phones. The mini systems will sound better..

Biggie.

Nov 21, 2002 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 4
I'd say that it's a virtual toss-up between all of those, however mediocre those headphone jacks on such equipment may sound. You see, headphone jacks on executive mini-systems and on boom-boxes suffer from the very same speaker-amp-filtered-by-a-cheap-resistor syndrome as those headphone jacks on most home receivers and integrated amps. But the built-in speaker amps themselves on minisystems and boom-boxes are of even lower quality than those on most receivers. Thus, on those minis and boomboxes, you take a signal that's crappy to begin with, and then try to filter that signal with a crappy resistor, and you'll often find that the headphone jack found on minisystems and boomboxes actually sound craptier than even a PCDP's headphone jack (I'm actually talking quality, not quantity, here). Louder sound ain't better sound (or more power ain't better-quality power), in this case! But PCDP headphone jacks have one or two strikes against them: They produce very little power (********* long battery life is to blame here), and many antiskip circuits used on PCDPs actually compress the sound.

Nov 23, 2002 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 4
don't know what kind of exec system you might be interested, but an excellent (and expensive) choice is the Linn Classik Music and Linn Katan/Kan speakers from Linn of Scotland. True audiophile qualities without any compromise of music.

check the reviews on the web, i don't think theres a single bad one. the headphone jack is also top quality. it might not be your sexiest exec system, but it can beat anyone on the sound field.

hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

bdb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back