Exciting headphones
Apr 1, 2010 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

HF123

New Head-Fier
Hi guys Im currently having a hard time choosing a headphone for hip-hop, trance, RnB, electronic music. I wanted punchy bass without killing the midrange and treble. I own altec L im716 and Shures se530 I love the two iem but sometimes it gets kinda boring listening to neutral sounding phones It feels kinda lacking in the bass department. I want a cheaper alternative so Im currently looking at the monster beats studio, sony's mdr-xb700, bose around the ear. I know the bose produce artificial sound but I dont mind I could listen with the shures anyway. I just want a headphone that produces exciting headbanging sound. I want to know what you guys think? any other headphone suggestions are welcome. I dont intent to use it with an amp.
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 12
I was about to suggest one of the denon line (D2000,D5000,D7000) but than noticed you say that you don't want to use an amp. well,it can be a little problematic with them, they sound MUCH MUCH less exciting without proper amplification.
in short,the denon sound is the one you are looking for...very exciting with head banging bass and crispy highs,silky mids.
there are also other headphones out there which share this kind of sound signature, let's see what others will suggest also.

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 12
'Punchy' bass and 'exciting headbanging sound'? I'll say Alessandro MS-1. I have no idea how the Denons sound but I'm pretty sure they've got 'more bass'.

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 12
Some sort of Grado for sure. Very exciting head banging sound
smily_headphones1.gif
BTW punchy bass does not necessarily mean a bassy headphone. Grado's have very punchy bass but don't have much quantity. Since when do people head bang to hip-hop, trance, RnB and electronic music? That seems very odd to me
confused.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 12
thanks, do you guys think the ZERO 24/192 amp has it take to drive the denons? I dont have that amp yet but I think I could buy one if its really that great sounding.

I would still prefer headphones that are easy to drive.

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #6 of 12
Haha I dont mean headbanging with your head.. headbanging sound/banging sound.
btw I mean deep and punchy bass.. the shure se530 has quick/punchy bass but it feels shallow imo.

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 12
the grado's do have punch...but like others said not enough quantity IMO inorder to enjoy genres like electronica and R&B etc. I find the grado sound very unimpropriate (for me,unlistenable) for those music genres, but rock/metal they excellent at.

the denons are very good allarounders, they do heavy bass genres excellent and also do rock stuff very well also.

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #9 of 12
Denons are fitting this description perfect but some modest amplification would be good.
If not than I would recommend ultrasone dj1 pro they will sound good with music genres you listen, dont need an amp and they look good.
Both phones will leave in dust monster meats , bose and sony for sure.

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #11 of 12
I have the ALO-780 (ALO modded Ultrasone HFI-780) and for electronic...unbelievable. I could never imagine something better. I personally do not listen to electronic music, but listened to a few recommended tracks from my friend with them and they wow'd me. I am selling them now because I only listen to rock and metal, which my Grado HF-2 are best at imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back