Exchange Grado SR60's for Portapros?
May 11, 2009 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

amosbr

New Head-Fier
Ok, i've got sr60's which are great. for home use. they are pretty much useless outdoors. the long heavy cord, the complete lack of insulation and the pissed off faces of people on the bus who apparently don't appreciate the genius of zeppelin III. so normally i use sennheiser in-ears which are fantastic, but my ears are starting to seriously dislike them after having them in there for most of the day.. also, being completely insulated from the world is nice but has its downsides..
And so I was thinking of selling my Grados and getting Portapros.
are they closed or open? how does the sound insulation compare to the grados (in both directions, me hearing background noises and people hearing my music)? how long/heavy is the cord? how does the sound quality in general compare?

Thanks in advance people!

*sadly me living far away from any civilization (israel) means i have to order them from abroad so i can't really try them out or even see them before buying

May 11, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 5
I have SR-60s and an old set of PortaPro Jr. cans so I feel qualified to reply.

Portapros are open. Cord is shorter and lighter. You'll gain some bass.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that you'd be giving up mids and highs.. that Grado "sound," in short. PortaPros aren't going to help you outdoors or on the bus. Open is open.

May 11, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 5
May 11, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 5
The porta pros actually have good sounding mids, though they are obviously warmer. Bass can be boomy at times. IMO it's a downgrade.

You might look into the sennheiser px200. It's the px100's closed brethren. Can't comment on the sound though.

Another note: a little more experimentation in terms of tips for your in-ears might save you some money. Tips make all the difference when it comes to comfort and sound.

May 13, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 5
The PX200 is quite different from the PX100. But I think for portability alone, PortaPro would beat the SR60s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back