Excessive ear wax~ removal
Jan 15, 2008 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Austin 3:16

500+ Head-Fier
I guess I have excessive amounts of wax production. I clean my ears about 5 times a week with Q-tips. But I still see wax on my Shure Foamies when I take my IEM's off. What can I do to safely get my inner ears cleaner? DIY.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 16
I was in the same situation as you.

A general rule is: never stick ANYTHING down into your ear canal. All you're going to do is push the ear wax deeper in (which I did).

What you want to get is some Debrox (the brand) at your local store, and leave the stuff in the ear(s) that you're having problems with, overnight, and use a cotton ball as well. Wake up, tilt head on its side, and empty contents onto cotton ball. Repeat for a few days, or up to a week, depending on severity. I went through 3 bottles in 7 days. It finally got it all out.

Good luck...

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I have excessive amounts of wax production. I clean my ears about 5 times a week with Q-tips. But I still see wax on my Shure Foamies when I take my IEM's off. What can I do to safely get my inner ears cleaner?

Apparently you missed the ear cleaning tutorial posted earlier by kramer5150.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently you missed the ear cleaning tutorial posted earlier by kramer5150.

That's not gross to me at all. Nor is it a tutorial.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 16
[size=large]PLEASE RELEVANT DIY SOLUTIONS ONLY.[/size]

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nor is it a tutorial

Actually it is, at the end of the video they tell you how to use the golden forcep-thingy. Specifying different techniques if you have wet or dry wax.

Austin you have been around long enough to know the drill, USE THE SEARCH function. Ear wax removal has been discussed numerous times, especially related to IEM custom impressions.

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually it is, at the end of the video they tell you how to use the golden forcep-thingy. Specifying different techniques if you have wet or dry wax.

Austin you have been around long enough to know the drill, USE THE SEARCH function. Ear wax removal has been discussed numerous times, especially related to IEM custom impressions.

1) Not DIY.

2) Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - Search Results = not very specific

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 16
I use hydrogen peroxide. It fizzes so you know it's working. When it don't fizz anymore, your ears are clean.

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #13 of 16
I had a pretty bad build up just last week. In my ears at least, the IEMs cause the buildup. I used the debrox kit (Murine makes a good kit too with the same stuff). The directions say to only leave the Debrox soloution in the ear for several minutes, so I'm not sure about leaving it in over night like the first poster said. Then use a bulb flusher (you can buy them separately or the come in kits with the Debrox/Murine) to flush with warm water. I got a good amount of stuff out but my left hear had peice that wouldn't come out and I had to go to the doctor. The girl there just took a large syringe (no needle on it of course) some warm water mixed with peroxide and the greater pressure of that got that last peice out. She said the Debrox kit I was using had already loosened it all up but I just needed the greater pressure to get it out.

As for daily cleaning, probably just a good flush with warm water and peroxide using a bulb flusher would do the trick. I'm going to try to just do the debrox once a week. I've gotten away from the IEM's since the last buildup in an attempt to see if that's what caused the buildup in the first place. My tinnitus was screaming for a few days before and it's just now calming down a few days after seeing the doctor.

Good luck. Some wax with IEM's is innevitable, I'm afraid, especially if you use them a lot. I have a thread on this page talking about IEM's, wax, and tinnitus.

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1863602ssia7.gif

Is this DIY?

cheers
Simon

Only as a permanent termination of this hobby.

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Methos1979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a pretty bad build up just last week. In my ears at least, the IEMs cause the buildup. I used the debrox kit (Murine makes a good kit too with the same stuff). The directions say to only leave the Debrox soloution in the ear for several minutes, so I'm not sure about leaving it in over night like the first poster said. Then use a bulb flusher (you can buy them separately or the come in kits with the Debrox/Murine) to flush with warm water. I got a good amount of stuff out but my left hear had peice that wouldn't come out and I had to go to the doctor. The girl there just took a large syringe (no needle on it of course) some warm water mixed with peroxide and the greater pressure of that got that last peice out. She said the Debrox kit I was using had already loosened it all up but I just needed the greater pressure to get it out.

As for daily cleaning, probably just a good flush with warm water and peroxide using a bulb flusher would do the trick. I'm going to try to just do the debrox once a week. I've gotten away from the IEM's since the last buildup in an attempt to see if that's what caused the buildup in the first place. My tinnitus was screaming for a few days before and it's just now calming down a few days after seeing the doctor.

Good luck. Some wax with IEM's is innevitable, I'm afraid, especially if you use them a lot. I have a thread on this page talking about IEM's, wax, and tinnitus.

Methos:

I had lodged ear-wax next to my ear drum, and couldn't hear ANYTHING (nothing, nada, zip, zero...) from my left ear. The Doctor said to leave it in overnight, and empty the contents into a cotton ball.

Now, I can hear, perfectly.. it worked wonders for me, thus my recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back