Excerising with IEMs
May 8, 2009 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

PaulF

New Head-Fier
I'm pretty new to the IEM world, having bought my Etymotic HF5s 2 months ago. From what I have read, doing excerise tends to lower the life of IEMs because of the sweat build up on the cable near the drivers and the cable then cracking?

It's just I would like to use my IEMs for biking (no traffic, just dirt roads towards the mountains), but I know I will sweat, and the Mexican desert heat will only increase the sweat.

Should I just use my cheap headphones for this? Or will it cause no problems with my etymotics? Is using them and then wiping them down with a damp cloth enough to protect them?

May 8, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 10
I have Shure SE530's and I have been working out with them for about 6 months. I was afraid of them getting toasted from the sweat too, but its hard to go back to the cheapies once you get used to the isolation and that great sound!

May 8, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 10
Well I have some Sony EX-83 equivalents (I believe)

They don't really have isolation (I don't need it, as there is no sounds where I'm going), and although its really bass heavy, the sound quality isn't that bad.

May 8, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I guess I probably shouldn't risk it, and use my sony canalphones for now. I might look into those sennheissers later.

Thanks LONZO and mark2410

I went through two pairs of Shure E2c from the sweat in the gym. Now I use my Atrios because someone gave them to me, so I don't think I'd be as bummed if they got ruined. Plus, the heavy bass works well with the music I play in the gym. If I lost them, I'd experiment with cheaper IEMs for the gym -- a good excuse to buy more low-enders.

May 8, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 10
NO Worries! I have been using the Superfi. at the gym for about two years now... I don't really see how the sweat will ruin the IEMs. How do sweat gets into the IEMs? Besides,.. aren't the bodies of the IEM sealed? In that case I really don't see a problem nor experienced a problem with working out with them. The only thing is,.. when you lift, use the machines you will have to be careful not to pull the cables. That happened a few times with me 5Pro, so I started to let the cable down behind my neck to my back. Still works like a charm!

Charlie

May 8, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 10
The biggest problem you will have with Etymotics and working out is microphonics. Sweat is never a problem unless you take them in and out frequently while you are sweating.

May 8, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #10 of 10
yeah that seems to be the only danger time with most IEMs since they have a sealed body and you dont sweat inside you ears. you just have to be careful not to take out and put back in a lot while sweaty, perhaps towel down before doing that. and watch the cables dont get tangled (I wear them down my back and under my shirt)

one thing though for the OP; theres a new thread like this started every week it seems

search feature is yours and our friend, please use it next time before starting a new thread. its all good, just be aware next time
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back