Excellent Isolation under $100?
Oct 8, 2007 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jTF2

New Head-Fier
Hi gang,

I'm looking to buy an IEM for my sis. She's in college at the moment and apparently her dorms are not the most quiet places around ...

So, I'm looking for something that emphasizes great isolation without skipping out on the bass.

For comparison's sake I own a super fi 5 EB and I love it's isolation even though UE says its isolation is -16 dB compared to the super fi 3 which has up to -26 dB
blink.gif
. I can't imagine what -26 will sound like haha. So I was thinking that getting the super fi 3's for my sis would be a major upgrade.. but what about the bass?

I'm still researching for alternatives and these come to mind...

V-Moda vibe
Mylarone X3, Xb, mylarthree (no idea what the price is for the mylarthree..)
etymotic er6i (most reviews said these IEMs had 'pure', even sound ?)
maximo iM 390, 490 (whats the difference and is the isolation decent?)
panasonic rp-hje70 (i have very little info on this IEM.. help?)
altec lansing UHP306 (see above lol)

Oct 8, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 11
The Vibes are fun, but they are "open" and so don't isolate as much as some in-ears. Of course, almost any canal phone would overcome outside noise better than a pair of earbuds, which is presumably what she's using now.

The ER6i's isolate excellently (perhaps as well as anything) and take a variety of tips, which can be an advantage as one adapts to wearing tiny earphones fairly deep in one's ears (I like the Shure black foamies and the Comply foamies, both of which are easier to put in and take out compared to flanges ... the Shures are the best all-around deal, as they last a very long time). The ER6i has some audible bass, but it's not "big" like with the Creative and Sennheiser canal phones. Both the ER6i and the superfi 3 should provide the isolation she wants, but the bass is another matter -- if she's really serious about bass and you want to keep it under $100, maybe a canal phone would be OK, as opposed to in-ear monitors.

I hope sis appreciates the assistance you're providing!

Oct 8, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 11
iM716s are still slightly over $100 on Amazon, and isolate very well. They have drivers that are extremely similar or really are the ER4 drivers (hopefully this information isn't outdated). You might be able to find them cheaper on eBay...

Oct 8, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 11
Actually, they are $87 shipped from Newegg - amazing deal!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aflac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iM716s are still slightly over $100 on Amazon, and isolate very well. They have drivers that are extremely similar or really are the ER4 drivers (hopefully this information isn't outdated). You might be able to find them cheaper on eBay...

Oct 9, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 11
ER6i have the most isolation of any of my phones, hence why I kept them - I can listen to music at the shooting range
very_evil_smiley.gif
Buy.com has them for about $74 shipped.

The new JVC Air Cushion FX66 are decent isolators compared to other IEMs, and the sound is more tilted up at the bass and treble end, with a valley in the mids. Whereas the ER6i are more tilted up in the upper mids, and flat (as in level) at the bass and treble ends. The JVC were $34.99 at circuit city, plus tax, also shipped free (I bought online and did in-store pickup).

I did have to burn-in both for 24-72 hours - on the ER6i to get rid of some upper mid harshness, and on the JVC to get rid of some sibilance. The ER6i love a bass boosting amp, like my PenguinAmp "Caffeine" that I am testing. The JVC have more than enough bass for everyone. Also, these JVC kick butt on the old JVC Marshmallows in sound quality, while isolating just as well.

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
er6i

if you don't like the tips that etymotic supplies, you can use shure and westone tips as well

so the westone comply/foam short and normal tips fit the ety er-6i's?

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 11
"so the westone comply/foam short and normal tips fit the ety er-6i's?"

Yes ... with the short Complys, the ER6i has a tiny, ultra-low-profile form factor, is very comfortable, and blocks out a lot of outside sound, as the foamie and the body of the earphone act as a unified earplug on all but the smallest ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back