Examples of Consumer Ignorance...
Jan 1, 2005 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

null

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys. Reading funny stories about consumer ignorance (like all mp3 players = ipods; that sort of stuff) I find is hilarious. Would you guys care to share some stories about stuff like that? (Workplace, relatives, etc.) It sounds kinda weird, but...

Jan 1, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 30
Teenagers laughing at their ignorant relatives and classmates make up 90 percent of the Members' lounge lately. You shouldn't have a problem finding some amusingly snotty stories.

Jan 1, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 30
I don't find consumer ignorance funny or anything. We were all at one time ignorant of something, right? I bought my first computer in ignorance. Not really hilarious to me. Should we feel elitist because we know more about headphone audio + related? I don't know much about cars, and I know I wouldn't like it if someone found my lack of knowledge in regards amusing.

Jan 1, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
Teenagers laughing at their ignorant relatives and classmates make up 90 percent of the Members' lounge lately. You shouldn't have a problem finding some amusingly snotty stories.

The lives of teenagers are very amusing when you think about it. We just see the amusement in a different way due to hormones, hence the snottiness.

Personally, I find consumer ignorance to be a normal thing. I don't mean to attack anyone, but laughing at something so common comes across slightly arrogant.

Jan 1, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 30
I worked with a guy once, kinda withdrawn, a little standoffish(is that a word?). I kept trying different approaches to make a connection with him, but he seemed to have no interests at all.

Fianally, after several days, I mentioned something about cars. His head popped up, his eyes opened wide, and he started talking about his car, his friend's car.

For several minutes things were looking good

Then I mentioned the 396ci/425hp '67 Corvette.

He said it must have been the 350hp, because the 396ci was 350hhp.

I said no, the 396ci was made in versions from 250hp all the way to the 425hp.

He said NO, ALL 396's were 350hp!

I said okay. :frowning2:

End of conversation. No intelligent life on that planet.

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 30
All I have to say is, the more you are willing to pay for something, the more you should do your homework and research to see if what you are buying is the best for your money/tastes. It's your money, make the most out of it.

For small things, I will be the forst to say that I am ignorant on many things. Since it is not much money, I do not feel so bad. On the larger things, I research the hell out of it. I may be blonde, but I am not stupid.

I do not look down on those that buy large things on ignorance, I just wish I could have helped them get the most out of their money.

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #7 of 30
It isn't funny.

It's painful.
frown.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
All I have to say is, the more you are willing to pay for something, the more you should do your homework and research to see if what you are buying is the best for your money/tastes. It's your money, make the most out of it.

For small things, I will be the forst to say that I am ignorant on many things. Since it is not much money, I do not feel so bad. On the larger things, I research the hell out of it. I may be blonde, but I am not stupid.

I do not look down on those that buy large things on ignorance, I just wish I could have helped them get the most out of their money.

I try to research everything before I buy anything.

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 30
An ex-coworker of mine (blond girl) thought that the SRS (safety restraint system airbag deal) that was printed on the dashboard of her car designated the model of the car. She said "Hey Ed, my car is an SRS also"

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
I try to research everything before I buy anything.

I mean pens and desk lamps and things, lol
tongue.gif

You must be a BUSY person. "I wonder what is better, Wonder Bread or Country Harvest bread, hmmmm, let's look online in the bread forums..."
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
I mean pens and desk lamps and things, lol
tongue.gif

You must be a BUSY person. "I wonder what is better, Wonder Bread or Country Harvest bread, hmmmm, let's look online in the bread forums..."
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I am very busy actually, but I swear I research crap like bread and pens!
I can't help it...it's just the way I am.
cool.gif
eggosmile.gif
confused.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #12 of 30
I worked in retail. By the time I finished typing up all my funny ignorant consumer stories I'd wear out my keyboard and have permanent RSI in my hands & arms as well as a bad back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back