Exactly $150 to spend on work headphones.
Sep 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

eysikal

Head-Fier
After a long project, boss is rewarding us with headphones priced $150 or below. 

I would like to use these at work. I'm a software developer and spend all day in front of a screen. 

My main criteria are:

- Comfort
 - Sound Quality
 - Isolation

I currently have:

Senneheiser HD 570 - Love the comfort, but not enough sound isolation due to being open air headphones. 

Klipsch S4 - Mostly use these for bike commute to work. Don't like wearing IEMs all day at the office. 

I mostly listen to instrumental music (jazz and classical). I do also enjoy some funk type stuff, and some EDM.

I would love a recommendation as I have not really looked for a closed-type headphone. I'm assuming that's what I'd need if I don't want an IEM. 

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 14
You might want to look at the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro. Closed headphones, very comfortable, nice SQ, a bit bright with good and punchy bass. Not sure how good are they for jazz and classical music though (didn't have much experience with them).

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 14
See if amazon still has the Yamaha pro for $150 and free shipping. I've just got them and they're my current #1 phone. If you search my posts, you can find extensive details I've written. UE6000 is a good choice for around $150 as well, but I feel the yamaha smokes them in every category except tonality. the UE6000's tonality was a little sweeter if I recall. 

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 14
you can just check camelcamelcamel.com after you setup a page to watch them. This was only less than 3 weeks ago that the 400 was $159 new and $150 used. Right now cheapest price is $225 new with shipping. I had been watching them and the pro 500s for months. I got the 400s to tide me over for the 500s because the 500s sounded better on the Fry's demo. But when I brought my Yamaha cable to Fry's to try the 500s with my Sansa clip, I thought the 500s sounded worse. Was the first time I got to try the 500s with film scores and metal music. The music on the fry's demo was either real bass heavy electronica or pure acoustic.

Sep 21, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #8 of 14
Shure 840's are a good shout.

The akg k550 are as well.

M50's are slightly less impressive, but still good no doubt. Something like the mdr1r might be good also as the enhanced comfort, easy going sound, low profile and good looks might make it worth choosing over the rest.

Sep 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 14
A lot of good recommendations in this thread. Problem is most of them are considerably more money than the hard $150 limit I have. 

Sep 21, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 14
I recently got these (http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1015#4) and I think they are pretty terrific for a grand total of $70.  Very good isolation, really nice detail, quite comfy.  You can find lots of reviews on head-fi of this and other/rebranded versions of this headphone.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/611575/jaycar-pro-monitor-headphones

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #12 of 14
Hey, Yes. I did make a choice. I ended up getting the Brainwavz HM5 http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-HM5-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B006MA9XXM. They are a "clone" of the ones darthman references in this thread. I like them...but I am not blown away by them. They are definitely a flat response headphone that you will have to use EQ to make sound interesting. I am getting a headphone amp soon and will probably report back on how that changes things. But know that these headphones play things very "straight"... most headphones you are probably used to have a more interesting sound signature built in.

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #13 of 14
Thanks for the update! I'm beginning my own search for workplace headphones so thought it interesting when I stumbled upon your post as the first article I read after joining. After a little bit of research I may make a post outlining my requirements. Then like you, I'll be searching for a DAC/headphone amp. Thanks again.

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #14 of 14
I got in on this when it was still in the Kickstarter project phase:

http://mustgeekout.com/

It looks very promising. I'm sure people on here have been talking about it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back