EX81 design vs EX71 design... comfort? performance? wearability?....
Mar 31, 2005 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BrooklynRick

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not sure if i should get the ex81 or the ex71, i like the design of the ex71 better b/c the ex81 looks funny the way it wraps around the back of the ear.... but I heard the ex81 should sound a lot better than the ex71. Is there really a difference? is the ex81 a lot more comfortable or something? the wrap around the back of the ear just seems so strange to me.

Mar 31, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm not a fan of the EX81. The best thing about the EX71 was that it was so user-friendly - easy to pop in and out. If you have to work at getting the right fit, might as well get the Shure E3c...

I didn't really hear a sound difference, but that was brief in-store impressions, so it may be there. If you want a sound difference, there's always the EXQ1...

Best,

-Jason

Apr 1, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 9
the ex81 has a tighter bass than the ex71. the ex81 sounds bright though. it is also as comfortable as the ex71. the earhooks are very soft and you wouldn't notice it and keeps the buds in place in the ear. the most important use of the hooks is that it eliminates microphonics, which many canalphones suffer from.
cool.gif

Apr 1, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynRick
would the ex81 be ideal for wearing while you are running or working out?

i would say yes. the earhook design eliminates microphonics and there are no foam parts, so it is pretty safe from sweat too.

Apr 1, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

would the ex81 be ideal for wearing while you are running or working out?

I would say no for running, because there is some sound isolation, which may lead to accidents....
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

what exactly are microphonics?

Sound created by vibrations on the cable when walking or moving which all canalphones suffer from to varying degrees. The phones where the cable or hook attach to the back of the ear usually exhibit less of a problem as the vibrations are dampened before they reach your ear canal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back