ex70 vs mx500 for MD
Jan 23, 2003 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ismala

New Head-Fier
Hi

I have a sony mz-n1 MD recorder player and i am very happy, but the headphones that came with MD are very poor.

I have not too much money to spend, i am considering two options: sennheiser mx-500 or Sony EX70.

People say that mx500 sounds better than ex70 but they are not too much comfortable, the EX70 seems to be more comfortable and they are closed, isolate is not indispensable but i think is important for me.

Besides, i like to listen loud but not want to buy an amp ¿which of thesetwo headphones are more efficient ex70 or mx500?

¿does really the ex70 sounds too bad?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my english

Jan 23, 2003 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 15
Hi, ismala!

I can only recomment MX400/500 for you. They don't isolate at all, in subway they are useless, unless you have set very high volume level. I want to protect my hearing for the rest of my life, so I don't listen loud at all. For comfort issue, they fit me quite good, and after few days they became 'invisible' to me. As for sound quality, no other cheap earbud is as balanced and of such high sound quality as the MX400/500. If you want isolation all the time, go for Etymotic, model 4P (without amp demands). Sure, much more expensive than EX70 and MUCH MUCH more than MX500, but the Etymotic 4P sound quality is even higher than that of MX500! My primary concern was always sound quality, so I discarded Koss The Plugs as bass heavy, EX70 as unbalanced and HOLLOW sounding and Porta Pro - wonderful but still bass heavy, not very detailed.

Protect your hearing, don't listen too loud when in noisy places, use Etys or STOP listening, don't try to outperform train noise by turning the volume knob UP!!! This is very important if you want to be able hear quality music in the years to come!

I use MX400 in quiter places, even in bus, not in subway, though.

Your
Moonwalker

Jan 23, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 15
The ex70 is very bass heavy, much too much so in my opinion, and the highs are very bad. The MX500 has a very balanced sound and sound great from my N707 MDP without an amp. As far as comfort of the MX500, they are very comfortable but they used to fall out of my ears a lot. A trick I learned is to put them in my ear then wrap the cord up over my ears and down along the back of my ears. When I do this, they stay in my ears and are very comfortable for hours, especially when I'm moving around a lot.

Jan 23, 2003 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 15
ER-6s and a supermini? Would still be cheaper then the ER-4Ps and provide pretty good isolation. People say the ER-6s are 75% of the ER-4P/S. I really don't want to upgrade to the ER-4Ps from my ER-6s because if I start hearing flaws in the music when I am trying to listen it will make it all pointless and I'll probally quit listening all together
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2003 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 15
I think that if you are thinking about the EX70, the new Sennheiser PX200 are better headphones. They are headphones, not things you stick oin your ears, and the character of the sound is quite similar to EX70... But the sound a lot less bad
biggrin.gif

They should work fine from an MZ-N1 (if my experience with an N707 is anything to go by) and they seal out outside sound a bit, although maybe not as much as the EX70.
Try them out, I don't think you'll regret it.

Jan 24, 2003 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 15
ismala, I use a set of MX500's with my MZ-S1 MD and they work very well. They don't isolate very well but are still plenty audible even on a noisy bus without turning them up too loud. Adding some RadioShack earbud covers helps the sound, especially the bass, quite a bit. They cost about 1/3 of what the EX70's do too.

Jan 24, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 15
The EX70 wire is designed so that it goes up from the left side of your body and wraps around the back of your neck. I guess the design is similar to headphones who have one wire going into one earcup (HD590) instead of two (HD580).

The EX70 is superior sounding to the MDR-848LP, although that's not saying much
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2003 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by donovansmith
ismala, I use a set of MX500's with my MZ-S1 MD and they work very well. They don't isolate very well but are still plenty audible even on a noisy bus without turning them up too loud. Adding some RadioShack earbud covers helps the sound, especially the bass, quite a bit. They cost about 1/3 of what the EX70's do too.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...996#post278996
Interesting...

Jan 25, 2003 at 5:43 PM Post #11 of 15
Thanks for the answers.

what about aiwa vx100? They look pretty and good price

i think they have isolation, but how is the quality sound? better than ex70?

Thank you very much

Jan 26, 2003 at 1:30 AM Post #12 of 15
Some people really like the Aiwas. I for one don't. They do offer some isolation. There is virtually no leakage out, meaning my wife doesn't hear anything when she is next to me. Overall, I think they sound hollow and I don't like them for music. I do use them for AM radio though. BTW, I have the Aiwa V600 which is the US version of the VX100. The MX500 has much better sound quality than the V600 IMHO.

Jan 26, 2003 at 3:07 AM Post #13 of 15
I just got the MX500 and I must say for $15 I don't think you could do better. I was surprised that there was even any soundstage considering their size. The drawbacks to me were a lack of isolation, especially on the subway, and the fit. The left bud kept coming out of my ear. I'll have to try the trick with the wire around the ear.

I've never heard the ex70s but judging from their design I would imagine they will give you more isolation and possibly a better fit. But I think one of the reasons the MX500 perform so well in the soundstage area is their open design. If your environment is not too noisy and you want to keep the cost down (less than half the price of ex70s), I would have no trouble in recommending the MX500. But since I've never heard the ex70s so I can't recommend one over the other.

Jan 26, 2003 at 11:11 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks a lot, i think i will go for the mx500 and maybe i will buy a pair another pair that isolates me like aiwa vx100 or sony ex70 to compare them.

any other person who have the aiwa vx100 and could teel me something about his quality sound?

Thank you very much

Jan 27, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by ismala
...maybe i will buy a pair another pair that isolates me like aiwa vx100 or sony ex70 to compare them.

LOL! That's the problem I've found with spending too much time online at places like Head-Fi. Like you, I was originally reading posts to research a pair of inexpensive headphones. Now I have a pair of MX500s, an order for a pair of Koss PortaPros and an order for a pair of Sennheiser PX200s. On top of that I've ordered an Airhead and a Super Mini V.4 amp, as well as an Airbag to hold everything! But I've realized that there is no perfect headphone and there are different headphones for different situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back