EX51LP, does the cord deteriorate?
Jun 14, 2006 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

rayzian

100+ Head-Fier
My friend has owned both the EX71s and the EX51s, and both of them the cord had corroded and coppper was exposed.

He's looking for another pair of EX51s, except the white ones (EX51LP), I was wondering.. does the cord deteriorate too on these ones?

Thanks in advanced.

Jun 15, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 20
yes and no, depends on how u use them

the cables will be fine if you use them in a very low movement activites such as listening on your computer.

they will fall apart if they are exposed to too much friction and movement such as carrying them in your pocket without a case.

with a case, they should be fine

Jun 15, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 20
so far no for me. but it u store it over a period of time, the cable will turn sticky. it sucks... lots of user report their cable deteriorate

Jun 15, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 20
Yes/no.

Depends on how old they are.

I have the old model with the hard rubber cable. I've used them for like 3 years and they are perfectly fine.

I know people with the newer models with the "gummy"/"grippy"/"soft" rubber cable and that one deteriorated within a period of a few months of daily use.

Jun 15, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 20
The newer models do. I have a pair bought less than a year ago (June 2005 I think) and back then, the cable disintegrated within 2 weeks.

Jun 15, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron
The newer models do. I have a pair bought less than a year ago (June 2005 I think) and back then, the cable disintegrated within 2 weeks.

oh.. haha.. my ex71 and ex51 over 4 yr liao

Jun 15, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 20
My 4 year old EX71 doesn't have this problem as well.

Jun 15, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 20
I think the issue at hand is not the deterioration but the horrendous sibilance that these phone exhibit.

A CX300 is a far superior phone for a relative small marginal increase in price.

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #11 of 20
Tried that before, the local Sony Galleries refused to do anything about it, the only thing I could do is get a new one, which is IMO, a dumb move.

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #12 of 20
My Sony's are two years old, and no problem with the cords (I carry them around in a case or even just a clear plastic zip-lock sandwich bag (hey, it's functional
biggrin.gif
). I don't expose them to abrasion in my pockets or briefcase/backpack. But I work with a woman who had the cords on her white ones shred within four months of (fairly careless) use.

I have since tried the Creative EP-630's in the same canal phone class, and find that they sound better, IMO. I'd recommend those (less expensive than the apparently similar Sennheisers, plus they have a standard "Y" configuration set of cords for the earpieces; the Sennheisers have the "J" cords). We'll see how they hold up -- no problems so far (after three months).

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by astranovus
can't you claim on the warranty if the cable deteriorates, it's not like you ripped it,

in Singapore, our ipod island, there is no warranty for most sony earphone

Jun 15, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #14 of 20
I never had problems with the cable from my EX71´s ans they were always in my pocket without a case etc. ...
I have heard somewhere that sony changed the cable and that only the new iems have that problems (i bought min about 2 years ago). But they are broken nww, because this y-splitter crushed...

Jun 16, 2006 at 11:57 AM Post #15 of 20
to be honest, if use them daily, I don't feel the cords are strong enough to be practical. Plus with they grippy cord, it gets caught on you clothes, and this actually led me to completely spliting the cable by accident. Not that i really took care of them, but if you have to put them in a case all the time to protect them, they arent really all that practical...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back