EX-71s for $16.00
Feb 28, 2007 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

audiomagnate

1000+ Head-Fier
eCost has them at that price. That's the cheapest I've seen them, and there's no rebate. No affiliation bla bla bla.

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 23
overpriced, for $5 more you can get a KSC75 or FX33 that are considerably better phones.

**edit**

Some details, to help back up my opinion. The EX71 (and 51) have muddy / bloated bass. Which is what makes it fun... to a certain point. After a while the congestion gets old, and the lack of detail resolution becomes more obvious. Their major downfall is the severely recessed midrange and boosted treble. This is the the only headphone I have owned that gave me tinnitus (ringing in the ears). Lowering the volume helped, but not enough. The treble exageration, resonance and harshness is flawed enough for me not to recommend this can over the FX33 or KSC75. Unless you really (REALLY) like harsh/aggressive treble, there are better phones in the $15-$20 range.

Feb 28, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 23
Thanks for the useful tip, magnate.

Unfortunately it looks like that was a short-term price. They're back up to $33 now, as far as I can tell.

Personally I like the EX71. I think it has a far worse rep on Head-Fi than it deserves. It's a compact, semi-isolating option that's comfortable enough that even people with an aversion to IEMs can enjoy it. The sound is not the finest, but frankly I find it quite enjoyable, much more so than an unamped KSC35 or the JBL 220 that's getting a lot of enthusiastic reviews here these days. And in its SL variation (short cord connecting to longer extension) it mates very nicely with the current-gen iPod Shuffle clipped to collar or lapel.

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 23
I bought them in December as an alternative to ER-6is when I wanted to walk from class to class and have easier time taking them out and putting them back in my ears frequently. I cant really use them, they sound so boomy and unclear.

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 23
Ah.. the ex-51s were my gateway drug, and I still remember wanting very badly to upgrade to the 71s. That was a long time ago though
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the useful tip, magnate.

Unfortunately it looks like that was a short-term price. They're back up to $33 now, as far as I can tell.

Nope, they're still available. Here's the link:
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/deta...l,EWB022807AT2

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #9 of 23
These were my first IEMs and i thought they were decent. Too bad i couldn't compare them to my e2c or now my vibes since the left driver stopped working after 3 months..

Feb 28, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
overpriced, for $5 more you can get a KSC75 or FX33 that are considerably better phones.

QFT.

though for people who don't care much for SQ, they're an ok deal.

Feb 28, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eCost has them at that price. That's the cheapest I've seen them, and there's no rebate. No affiliation bla bla bla.

Even $16 is a bit expensive for those tin cans. Bloated bass, overpowered mids, fake highs...just overall bad.

Mar 1, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QFT.

though for people who don't care much for SQ, they're an ok deal.

If sound quality doesn't matter, why even spend $16 bucks? If sound quality doesn't matter, then might as well get a crappy $5 one that doesn't look too bad.

Mar 1, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If sound quality doesn't matter, why even spend $16 bucks? If sound quality doesn't matter, then might as well get a crappy $5 one that doesn't look too bad.

If sound quality doesn't matter, get a pair from the dollar store...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back