Evshrug's "If I knew then what I know now" discussion journal.
May 9, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #421 of 439

HD 6XX, HD 58X, and HD 560S Compared​

I‘ve seen many people ask which of these they should buy... which is kind of a hard question, because it depends on what is most important to each person! I have all three. So, I thought I’d compile a quick comparison of descriptions of each, so that hopefully people can read and decide what seems most appealing to them.

The HD 6XX has the highest technical performance out of all three, and has the best dampening and least distortion. It’s tuning came from the studio-monitor like HD 600 sound, but the treble was intentionally reduced a bit so that mixing professionals or music enthusiasts could listen for hours and hours with less fatigue, and there’s just a bit more midbass to sound more like a home speaker system. So it has less sensation of “air,” but the drivers are quite articulate and detailed, also most people’s brains acclimate to the sound quickly so it sounds “normal” and pros can make mixing decisions based off it. The HD 6XX is a visual variant of the HD 650, and overall it is one of the most common HiFi headphones ever and a good reference point that has been compared to pretty much everything else. If I could describe the HD 6XX in one word, it would be “beguiling.”

The HD 560S is close behind the HD 650 in technicalities, with almost as much detail, and very low distortion. The HD 560S’ slightly smaller driver is also more efficient than the 300 Ω HD 6XX and needs less power to sound good, however the 120 Ω impedance of the HD 560S is like a sweet spot that helps with some dampening and stability in amplifier operation. The longer, 1/4” terminated cable is great for listening to a TV or turntable while you sit in a comfy chair, but it also includes the best kind of 1/4” to 3.5mm adapter to prevent damage to your equipment. Things get interesting when you consider the HD 560S’ driver is set at a 9° angle, meant to interact with your outer ear more, and also the HD 560S has more treble “air” than the HD 6XX, so it’s easier to hear positional directions and recording venue acoustics... the HD 560S has better soundstage than the other two. Overall, the HD 560S is tuned closer to a studio monitor speaker, and maintains its deepest sub bass more than the other two, but has also the most “linear” sound like a studio monitor speaker.

The HD 58X has an enclosure and flat-angle like the HD 6XX, and a driver size and impedance like the HD 560S, but it is the most “fun” sounding of the three, also the least expensive. A short cable, efficient to drive, more bass and treble to excite you, the HD 58X is lively and ready to immediately bring you a lot of fun. In one word, I think the HD 58X is “Perky!”

YMMV, hopefully from my description you can decide which appeals to you the most. I know it’s tough since they’re all between $180 and $220. Personally, I’ve been using the HD 560S the most lately, but it’s also the newest, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do you guys think I should do a video on this?

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #422 of 439

HD 6XX, HD 58X, and HD 560S Compared​

I‘ve seen many people ask which of these they should buy... which is kind of a hard question, because it depends on what is most important to each person! I have all three. So, I thought I’d compile a quick comparison of descriptions of each, so that hopefully people can read and decide what seems most appealing to them.

The HD 6XX has the highest technical performance out of all three, and has the best dampening and least distortion. It’s tuning came from the studio-monitor like HD 600 sound, but the treble was intentionally reduced a bit so that mixing professionals or music enthusiasts could listen for hours and hours with less fatigue, and there’s just a bit more midbass to sound more like a home speaker system. So it has less sensation of “air,” but the drivers are quite articulate and detailed, also most people’s brains acclimate to the sound quickly so it sounds “normal” and pros can make mixing decisions based off it. The HD 6XX is a visual variant of the HD 650, and overall it is one of the most common HiFi headphones ever and a good reference point that has been compared to pretty much everything else. If I could describe the HD 6XX in one word, it would be “beguiling.”

The HD 560S is close behind the HD 650 in technicalities, with almost as much detail, and very low distortion. The HD 560S’ slightly smaller driver is also more efficient and needs less power to sound good, though the 120 Ω impedance is like a sweet spot that helps with some dampening and stability in amplifier operation, while being a bit less impedance than the 300 Ω HD 6XX. The longer, 1/4” terminated cable is great for listening to a TV or turntable while you sit in a comfy chair, but it also includes the best kind of 1/4” to 3.5mm adapter to prevent damage to your equipment. Things get interesting when you consider the HD 560S’ driver is set at a 9° angle, meant to interact with your outer ear more, and also the HD 560S has more treble “air” than the HD 6XX, so it’s easier to hear positional directions and recording venue acoustics... the HD 560S has better soundstage than the other two. Overall, the HD 560S is tuned closer to a studio monitor speaker, and maintains its deepest sub bass more than the other two, but has also the most “linear” sound like a studio monitor speaker.

The HD 58X has an enclosure and flat-angle like the HD 6XX, and a driver size and impedance like the HD 560S, but it is the most “fun” sounding of the three, also the least expensive. A short cable, efficient to drive, more bass and treble to excite you, the HD 58X is lively and ready to immediately bring you a lot of fun. In one word, I think the HD 58X is “Perky!”

YMMV, hopefully from my description you can decide which appeals to you the most. I know it’s tough since they’re all between $180 and $220. Personally, I’ve been using the HD 560S the most lately, but it’s also the newest, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do you guys think I should do a video on this?

Fantastic write-up, thank you for your impressions! You've now lain to rest my worries about whether I made the right choice with my HD560s: Since I wanted an all-rounder for music AND movies and TV, it sounds like I made the right choice by sacrificing just a tad bit of detail for the sake of better soundstage and positional imaging!

I think a video on this would be great! :)

May 17, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #423 of 439

Prototype HD 8XX: First Impressions from an HD 800 Owner​

Hi everyone, I guess it’s time for my Prototype HD 8XX impressions. Let’s introduce with why: I have never seen a better price, new, on the elite HD 800 series as the HD 8XX, which maintains the landmark soundstage, articulation, transparency, and free-ear ergonomics of the HD 800 and HD 800S, while being tuned with a bit more bass than before. However, the little touches in tuning are refinements of the familiar signature, and it is still not a warm headphone that would satisfy bassheads.

Who I am is important too... not that I’m a big deal, but it’s important to disclose that I do contract consulting work for various companies, and I started helping Sennheiser as a Community Manager in 2017. I am no salesman, and I am not getting any compensation or commission from Sennheiser or Drop to do this write up, so my goal is to describe the experience as best I can so you can decide for yourself if a headphone is something you would enjoy or if you might end up processing a return. Hopefully I can share some insider information along the way! Also, I used to write headphone reviews after I joined Head-Fi in 2009, got my first HiFi IEM in 2005, played violin in grade school, and consider myself a lifelong gamer :D

So! How does the HD 8XX sound? Well, in the context of just a few days to take a turn with the production tuned model (I got lucky with four days), here are the first impressions from my listening notes. By itself, the HD 8XX is an airy sounding headphone, almost a “diffuse field target” headphone with a lean and very focused sound, also retaining a “speaker like” ability to portray in front location and a sense of depth that sounds 3D instead of “layers” of depth or recessed in the mids. Compared to other brands of headphones and speakers that boost treble to seem to sound more detailed, the HD 8XX may actually sound a bit softer and does not stab you in the ear... but the HD 8XX is not treble shy, and in fact has plenty of quantity and sparkle. Compared to more recent bass heavy hifi or resonant low-fi headphones, or a home theater subwoofer, the HD 8XX may not seem to have stand-out bass warmth either, but if a track has bass in it the HD 8XX will play it like a monitor speaker would. Connected to a high quality, low distortion audio signal chain (amps and DACS appropriate for a flagship headphone), the HD 8XX can sound startlingly realistic and sometimes cross the line between recorded sound and something you thought actually came from in the room with out or just outside. Considering that, first person or simulation-level gaming can be incredibly immersive.

How does it compare to the HD 800 I bought in 2015? Besides the navy accent ring, the HD 8XX has a Helmholtz resonator that the HD 800 does not, acting almost like an air “spring,” absorbing very specific frequencies in the treble range. This technique is more precisely targeted and repeatable compared to mods using organic dampening materials, so your HD 8XX will sound like the HD 8XX I heard, and there won’t be trade-offs in other regions. The objective-minded can easily see how the HD 8XX mostly matches the treble of the HD 800S model within measurement deviation (I appreciate the still relatively minor upper mids dip centered around 2.5 kHz, as it affects the fundamentals of many instrument’s higher notes), but in experience compared to my older HD 800 the change in the upper mids and treble is a bit more relaxed... still quite sparkly and raw sounding (a hot-miked harmonica recording in “Walking After Midnight” by Cowboy Junkies is still hot), but it’s a “safer” step back from the Tightrope balancing act of an HD 800. The HD 8XX sub bass also has the most linear extension (and thus the highest) of the whole series, a subtle change that is appreciable but won’t make every song bassy. Keen observers will also note low total harmonic distortion overall... this is especially noticeable while listening in the bass, which is both a positive and a negative that I’ll come back to discuss a bit more.

It should be noted that the ergonomics haven’t changed... which I feel is a good thing. There is a dimple in the headband padding’s center, where usually weight would be centered, and instead it is evenly distributed to the sides. The ear pads take a light touch for most people, but the cups are deep enough to leave most people’s ears free from contact. Metals were considered too resonant, so instead super hard plastics were used in most places besides the mesh and top adjustment plate, and the whole headphone is remarkably light for its size, and looking straight on in the mirror the earcups don’t protrude super wide from your head (though your non-audiophile friends may laugh when they see them from the side). This is highly subjective, but the HD 800 was the only headphone where I had moments where I found a seating sweet spot and could actually forget I was wearing them. Conversely, I’ve seen some other people comment that they felt extra pressure making their jaws sore.

What sounds good on the HD 8XX? One of the things that surprised me the most when I first heard the HD 800 was how rich the mids and upper bass were, and the HD 8XX improves on this without completely changing the flavor that draws people to the series. Things like baritone voices in "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes" by Paul Simon or Bass Guitar in "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen sound very well represented and the texture detail is a delight... even some EDM like "The Great Divide - Seven Lions Remix" by Velvetine sounds amazing. The large ring radiator drivers displace a LOT of air, approaching an almost flat planar wave of air which interacts with the curves of your outer ear as much as traveling directly into your ear canal. I can even feel the air moving the hairs on the skin of my ears at times, but the divers are unusually tight and detailed, so we don't get the "WuB WuB" usually associated with "big bass." All of the above, by the way, I highly recommend as fun HD 8xx tracks as well :D

However, I do feel like some songs benefit from more “warmth”and fuzziness, and the HD 8XX isn’t changed enough by default to “satisfy” in pop music that relies on the synthetic sub bass notes and bloomy bass, like "Demons" by Imagine Dragons (lots of bad artifacts in that song) and I was surprised to discover how many of Rihanna's songs rely on just vocals and a "bass gimmick." The HD 8XX bass is still too tight to gloss over the unpleasant artifacts, or wash over me to get me excited. The old bass-test standby, “Angel” by Massive Attack plays its deepest notes from the very beginning... I’m a bit torn on this track, because if the HD 8XX was your only headphone, it sounds good, and compared to the HD 800 the small difference makes all the difference in making the track feel mysterious and threatening, but honestly if most of your emotional enjoyment comes from “subwoofer like” bass, then I believe you will actually get more enjoyment out of a headphone described as “warm.”

My mind is most divided on songs like "Undisclosed Desires" by Muse... because I LOVE THIS SONG. It's actually mostly a very "active brain" song with many layers of different instruments, a sexy beat/rythmn, and the HD 8xx provides a very energetic and exciting insight into the song's groove - again everything from that funky bass guitar to the the brass high-hats are very well represented. At the very end of the track, there's a few seconds where there's just a cool string bass viol note which seems to call out, with a deep synth bass rumble in answer. On the HD 800, the synth bass is barely audible, and the HD 8xx improves on this to where both notes are clearly audible, but they don't wash over you and submerge you in a bass bath. Considering the whole of this song, the majority of it is an awesome experience, but those last 20 or so seconds are a “calming after the crescendo” rather than a thick highlight moment of the track. But on a track like “Limit to Your Love” by James Blake, any more bass would be too much for that song, IMO.

With that said, the HD 8XX does take to EQ pretty well, and it’s easier to add a slower decay, distortion, and “thickness” to a clean sounding driver than it is to try to clean up a warm headphone with resonance and masking issues. Some DSPs can actually go beyond increasing the loudness of certain frequencies, and I had success with both my Smyth Realiser A16 DSP and my HiBy R6 Pro portable DAP to add these colorations and add a wash of bass that will carry you away in the flow of music... but for most of my music, I don’t feel the need for EQ and there is plenty to delight. I’m also going to go ahead and say that the HD 8XX will reveal harshness if present in amps... I tested on an HDV 820, which is a great fit (of course), but I also didn’t experience glare or sibilance (unless it was in the recording) on my un-modded HD 800 with my Cavalli Liquid Carbon + Chord Mojo setup, or the iFi iDSD Neo when I got to borrow that (though I liked it even better when I used the Neo + HDV 820 for amp duties).

For gaming, I tried to use the HD 8XX to play Call of Duty and Hitman. Unfortunately, the PvP and Warzone modes released a big patch right when I moved my setup (HDV 820 as DAC/Amp, and then I unboxed the Realiser) into the basement where my PS4 Pro and TV are, and I didn’t have time to update them in time for testing. Gunfire and the chaos of the Havana level in the MW2 remastered campaign was punchy and visceral, and frontal locations were clear, but unfortunately campaign tends to spawn NPCs within a narrow space in front of the character and stay firing continuously in one place, so this wasn’t a great test of spacial audio. However, one thing about the HD 8XX’s separation quality was that the audio was a lot less “busy” than my LG’s built-in speakers and it was easier to have good awareness of everything that was going on. Switching to the relatively much calmer Hitman, now it was much easier to hear directional conversational clues which were triggered even if the player character was halfway past walking by. The birds and other ambient noises really sold the environment, immersing me as a player. I can tell you from experience with my HD 800, PvP in Warzone (I recommend NOT using the high dynamic range if you want an extra competitive advantage) or Destiny 2 will get you accusations of wall hacks, and you should only play Resident Evil 7 if you are in the mood to get stalked or startled by the sounds in that game, with the “Dad” busting through walls and the “Mom’s” buzzing bees being very... unnerving 😁

So, let’s wrap things up. What with the HD 800 discontinued and the HD 800S regularly at $1600 USD (and occasionally out of stock), the $1100 for the HD 8XX is lower than I’ve seen in past sales, plus $200 Drop store credit can go towards completing your setup. Those who already have an HD 800 or HD 800S or really want home-theater subwoofer bass, the HD 8XX probably won’t tempt you, but people who let an HD 800 go in the past, and miss it, may find the little differences in the HD 8XX juuust enough to make the difference. If precise imaging, clarity, separation, and immersion in realism are your holy grails of audio, that is why the HD 8XX should be considered.

HD 8XX Synergy playlist I made:
Tidal:
https://tidal.com/playlist/53372ca1-2047-4d94-a839-6a9a97a56cff

Spotify:

Older HD 800 Synergy Songs playlist that I borrowed from for review, but also just good songs:
Tidal:
https://tidal.com/playlist/532bcd52-2354-4a45-829c-041d36175f04

Spotify:

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #425 of 439
Seeking advice!!!

Currently, I pay for both TIDAL and Spotify Premium. I’m also paying both my house mortgage and my former apartment landlord is being nasty about letting us end out lease early so we’re also paying rent (June should be the last), so I’m trying to save money where I can. I think lots of Head-Fi’ers use TIDAL, and Spotify has a free tier so anyone can check out music playlists I make for that platform (which is really fun for me). My wife borrowed my Spotify account, but has basically taken it over for teaching fitness classes and driving around. Sometimes we steal playback from eachother too.

Now, Apple Music has entered the fray with their higher res offering. An  Music family plan would be cheaper if it replaced the other two, we would have our own libraries, suggestions, and playback permissions (also any future children). It might also bring back the 2001-2015 playlists I had made for my iPods and iTunes library, but ALL got removed when an extended trial ended... but that also gives me pause, because when that happened in 2015 it also deleted all my CD rips and purchased music from other stores at that time, like a virus. I think that happened because I turned on the Cloud Library feature, but it wasn’t well explained what that would do at the time.

Are there other caveats to Apple Music I should be aware of? Are there enough Apple Music listeners here on Head-Fi that they could listen to my playlists on that platform (copied to Spotify using an ad-supported tier account)? Does the Apple Music app work OK on android DAPs like my HiBy R6 Pro?

Thanks for reading and sharing thoughts!

May 30, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #426 of 439
May 30, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #427 of 439
Seeking advice!!!

Currently, I pay for both TIDAL and Spotify Premium. I’m also paying both my house mortgage and my former apartment landlord is being nasty about letting us end out lease early so we’re also paying rent (June should be the last), so I’m trying to save money where I can. I think lots of Head-Fi’ers use TIDAL, and Spotify has a free tier so anyone can check out music playlists I make for that platform (which is really fun for me). My wife borrowed my Spotify account, but has basically taken it over for teaching fitness classes and driving around. Sometimes we steal playback from eachother too.

Now, Apple Music has entered the fray with their higher res offering. An  Music family plan would be cheaper if it replaced the other two, we would have our own libraries, suggestions, and playback permissions (also any future children). It might also bring back the 2001-2015 playlists I had made for my iPods and iTunes library, but ALL got removed when an extended trial ended... but that also gives me pause, because when that happened in 2015 it also deleted all my CD rips and purchased music from other stores at that time, like a virus. I think that happened because I turned on the Cloud Library feature, but it wasn’t well explained what that would do at the time.

Are there other caveats to Apple Music I should be aware of? Are there enough Apple Music listeners here on Head-Fi that they could listen to my playlists on that platform (copied to Spotify using an ad-supported tier account)? Does the Apple Music app work OK on android DAPs like my HiBy R6 Pro?

Thanks for reading and sharing thoughts!
An interesting video on TIDAl ().

I don't do Apple.

I hate many things about Amazon (and Bezos).

That said, they're competent in delivering the items I order. Anything wrong, they give me the benefit.

I use Prime Music Unlimited. Full HD or better, in FLAC. $84.33 per year, plus the yearly Prime membership of $119.

I've tried TIDAL (never again), Spotify, & Quboz. Amazon has by far the largest library of my music (Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock, Classical).

Amazon offers a 30 day trial. Check it out.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #428 of 439
An interesting video on TIDAl ().

I don't do Apple.

I hate many things about Amazon (and Bezos).

That said, they're competent in delivering the items I order. Anything wrong, they give me the benefit.

I use Prime Music Unlimited. Full HD or better, in FLAC. $84.33 per year, plus the yearly Prime membership of $119.

I've tried TIDAL (never again), Spotify, & Quboz. Amazon has by far the largest library of my music (Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock, Classical).

Amazon offers a 30 day trial. Check it out.

Thanks for the video, I’m familiar with GoldenOne’s videos and research into MQA... but I don’t get MQA at my $10 level of Tidal anyway, and I don’t (think?) I have any MQA certified devices either.

Does Amazon offer a discount on a “family” membership, so my wife and I can both stream music at the same time and not mix together both of our song recommendations? She’s all show tunes, country, and pop, and I’m into alt rock, classic rock, EDM, and also I go on kicks where I sample just about anything (including weird stuff my wife doesn’t like).

I do appreciate the help... I do a lot of research and learn all the time, but I can’t keep up with everything 😅

May 31, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #429 of 439
Thanks for the video, I’m familiar with GoldenOne’s videos and research into MQA... but I don’t get MQA at my $10 level of Tidal anyway, and I don’t (think?) I have any MQA certified devices either.

Does Amazon offer a discount on a “family” membership, so my wife and I can both stream music at the same time and not mix together both of our song recommendations? She’s all show tunes, country, and pop, and I’m into alt rock, classic rock, EDM, and also I go on kicks where I sample just about anything (including weird stuff my wife doesn’t like).

I do appreciate the help... I do a lot of research and learn all the time, but I can’t keep up with everythingFamily memberships at Amazon, for 6 devices, are !#

Amazon family (6 devices) are $14.99 per month, or $149.00 per year. This is in addition to the Prime fees.

May 31, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #430 of 439
For gaming, I tried to use the HD 8XX to play Call of Duty and Hitman. Unfortunately, the PvP and Warzone modes released a big patch right when I moved my setup (HDV 820 as DAC/Amp, and then I unboxed the Realiser) into the basement where my PS4 Pro and TV are, and I didn’t have time to update them in time for testing. Gunfire and the chaos of the Havana level in the MW2 remastered campaign was punchy and visceral, and frontal locations were clear, but unfortunately campaign tends to spawn NPCs within a narrow space in front of the character and stay firing continuously in one place, so this wasn’t a great test of spacial audio. However, one thing about the HD 8XX’s separation quality was that the audio was a lot less “busy” than my LG’s built-in speakers and it was easier to have good awareness of everything that was going on. Switching to the relatively much calmer Hitman, now it was much easier to hear directional conversational clues which were triggered even if the player character was halfway past walking by. The birds and other ambient noises really sold the environment, immersing me as a player. I can tell you from experience with my HD 800, PvP in Warzone (I recommend NOT using the high dynamic range if you want an extra competitive advantage) or Destiny 2 will get you accusations of wall hacks, and you should only play Resident Evil 7 if you are in the mood to get stalked or startled by the sounds in that game, with the “Dad” busting through walls and the “Mom’s” buzzing bees being very... unnerving 😁

My experience with using actual high end cans with gaming, is sometimes the imaging is actually too good for the games. My Ether CX of course, small sound stage but really precise imaging. You start to hear the difference between your visual FOV and a sort of "Audio FOV" lets call it. Borderlands 3 really shows this especially when you turn on the official spatial audio support in the game. If you leave the game at the default FOV, everything sounds spot on. Sounds are coming from exactly where you'd think they're coming from. But if you increase FOV, like most people do on PC, something on that is on screen, sounds like it's directly 90 degrees to your right. Hitman is fantastic, mostly because the fixed 3rd person view.

I HIGHLY recommend playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice if you have a set of cans with a big sound stage. It makes a good test game

Jun 1, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #431 of 439
@SeEnCreaTive Yes! I played Hellblade roughy when it came out, happily paid full price!

Right now, I’m playing through Remedy’s 2019 Control (on PS5 with Tempest 3D audio and ray-tracing, wear headphones and you can hear it too!)

but soon as I beat that, my next game is going to be Returnal, which was made to fully support 3D audio from the ground up!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #434 of 439
Hey Everyone! I published a preview video covering the Retail Drop + Sennheiser HD 8XX:

A written version is to follow, but I need to mail this along to the next person (and desperately need to catch up on some chores, hahah!).

Aug 30, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #435 of 439
Hey Everyone! I published a preview video covering the Retail Drop + Sennheiser HD 8XX:

A written version is to follow, but I need to mail this along to the next person (and desperately need to catch up on some chores, hahah!).

Great stuff, thank you :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back